Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model B block OHV wear and tear

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by G_Don, Nov 29, 2017.

1. G_Don

G_Don

I have a 30 phaeton with a B block. It's stock at the moment and have been researching some banger speed equipment. I plan on driving it to work pretty frequently as my commute is 10 miles and all back country roads. I'm wondering how well an OHV conversion will hold up after a lot of miles.

I've done a bunch of searches trying to find something about durability/longevity of an OHV but haven't found anything specifically related. Are OHVs impractical or more troublesome in a daily driver? Would a HC head be a more practical/durable option (cost aside)?

Anyone with a link to a thread I may have missed, or some personal opinions/experiences with OHVs and dependability/longevity of it would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks for your time,
    Gordy

2. dmdeaton

dmdeaton
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

http://www.secretsofspeed.com/httpsecretsofspeed-com.htm

I am on the list for one of his Roof 101 heads. I cannot comment on durability as this will be my first. They have modernized the old design a little and have sold a good number of these. Charlie will answer any questions you have and runs one on his speedster. He sells a couple different size hardened valve seats to cover up spider cracks around the original seats, which I am told is common on the B.
    I also have one of his 6.5/1 Lions Head, intake manifold, cast iron headers, and a Stromberg 97. I am going to run a B counterbalance crank, all insert bearings, on a A block. This will be my first build.
    I am going to save the Roof for my next project, if I live that long, and put it on a B block. I know this answers none of your questions, but maybe you haven't seen Charlie's site. Lots of good info.

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Never ran an OH on a banger but I had a B with a Winfield head and knocked the Babbitt out of the rods twice, went to an inserted A motor. Will depend on how you drive it, they don't like high rpm's and I never treated it real gently . Secrets of Speed Society has a lot of banger info, might find something there.

4. rusty valley

rusty valley

i believe the first overhead conversions for fords were to get more power for the trucks. racers picked up on the idea for sure, but it should not be any less reliable than any other motor unless you are trying to squeez too much horsepower with bolt on goodies and drive like the devil !

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. waxhead

waxhead
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from West Oz

I have just installed a Miller OHV on my Model A Engine and I cannot believe how much better it drives compared to the same engine with an original Winfield 7:1 Cast Iron Crows-foot Head. The Miller OHV has made a huge difference in power. I would definitely recommend getting one.
    http://www.millerhi-speedheads.com

I also cannot comment on durability, but quite a few guys on the FordBarn use OHVs for touring, so could probably answer your question.