Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A with inline six

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by concreteman, Jan 23, 2009.

1. concreteman

concreteman

Any pictures with a Model A with chev inline six

2. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I would think the frame would have to be stretched alot to fit an inline 6 in there.. IMO...

3. -Brent-

-Brent-

Don't have pics because it's not in yet but I'm going with a 235 in my 30 A coupe. I'll be turning the firewall around. It's completely possible w/o a stretch. There are a few here. I'll see if I can find a link or two.

4. hotdamn

hotdamn

yeah now we're talkin!

5. concreteman

concreteman

Too cool I have a 31 sport coupe I would like to put a 216 or 235 and build a fenderless highboy ,got to be different

John Heckman likes this.
  6. Lil' Billy

Lil' Billy
    from Georgia

Dang, I thought I was the only one that had that idea. My future down the road project is a blown jimmy 302 in a model A. Dubbed "the V8 Interceptor."

7. -Brent-

-Brent-

Here's a link with some Model A's

The Stovebolt is my favorite engine... (Did I say that out loud?:eek:) I'm a little fanatical about building mine. It's got a C1 Vette intake and exhaust and a WC T5 w/ an S10 tail-shaft housing. I'm still collecting the little parts. I would like to eventually like to put in a 261 bottom end. But for now, I'm learning and collecting.

8. Ghost28

Ghost28

I have a friend that has a 26 T with a 250 chevy inline. Running a clifford manifold, a 4 barrel, and a 4 speed. The damn thing sounds good...ghost

9. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

I started building mine around the 3x1 intake manifold I had purchased for my 54 Chev more-door, but never fitted. I'm just about to build a new frame for it, using a pair of original 32 rails.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

here's a wellknown 29 with a 235.
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete and Tim like this.
  10. concreteman

concreteman

Great seeing something different ,can a inline six 216/235 be put in a Model A with out lenghting the frame

11. FAT-245

FAT-245

hey guys, just curious if you guys have heard of the 245/265 Chrysler Hemi Six's?

12. Stovebolt

Stovebolt

It can be done....... but ......

when using a shortened water pump, and minimal space between the water pump and a radaitor, you'd still need to recess the firewall by 5".

I was contemplating re-doing mine as a full fendered coupe, buy decided there were too many issues getting the driving position as good as it is now, which is perfect as it is. I still have the full parcel shelf in my coupe, and my elbow sits just right in the normal driving postition.

13. hotdamn

hotdamn

also just wanted to give a simple reminder that 216's are not a good canidate unless you like making things hard on your self.

they are not a full pressure motor and they have babbit not insert bearings.

that said if some one gives you one and it is a proven runner, sure.
    other wise no.

also you can tell the difference between the two by looking low about midway back on the drivers side of the block.
    if it has a provision for a triangle shaped inspection plate with 3 screws in it.

this is a 216.

also you can run a 216 center bolt valve cover by putting two center bolt studs in the rockers that have provisions for them.

personally I think the 216 valve cover is a little sexier than the 235 and a whole lot cheaper than a aluminum one:)

14. I may be building something that resembles this thread.

15. ken1939

ken1939

Hemi 6, dont forget the 4 banger pontiac 194. They did make a hemi head for it. Ford still makes a good 6 banger to.. For the Ford guys that think its tanamount to heracy to put anything but a Ford in a Ford.

16. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

This is what I'm working on...
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Okie Pete likes this.
  17. FAT-245

FAT-245

Yeh Ford do make a strong and stout Six, there are guys in Australia that have squeezed 1000HP out of their DOHC 250Cu.In Engine..

and Here is what Ive been working on

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jan 25, 2009
  18. 29nash

29nash
    BANNED
    from colorado

.....minor correction. Sears and Wards sold conversion kits in the 1950s to convert 216 rods to insert bearings. A lot of them have been converted. I have personally seen several, fact is I have opened up about a dozen of them and have found all of those to have been converted. I did one of them myself in 1960. Yes, they had no pressure ,(splash and dip)to the rods, but have pressure oil to the mains.

Okie Pete likes this.
  20. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

How about a 322 GMC ( 302 plus .125) in a model A , heres mine . Been drivin it for about four years. Four speed and early quick change.
    The GMC is three inchs longer than the 235 etc...

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Testing a new injection unit for a customer, make em driveable. Never know it with the air cleaner on it,.

Okie Pete likes this.
  21. ThrottleJockey

ThrottleJockey

250 Chevy/ 700R4

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  22. Jethro

Jethro
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I flipped the firewall. I think it's about 4 inches. I'm hoping to be able to use a stock hood. hopefully I don't have to push the rad out too far.... I'm not at that point yet. I'll let you know how it goes.

23. Cody Walls

Cody Walls

here my 292 getting su carbs . [​IMG]

24. Saxon

Saxon
    from MN

Attached Files:

Okie Pete likes this.
  25. -Brent-

-Brent-

GMC Bubba, are your mounts in about the same area as a flathead? I can't tell. Looks great BTW.

I love this thread, fellas.

26. -Brent-

-Brent-

Nitro, have any more info on this?

27. GMC BUBBA

GMC BUBBA
    Member Emeritus

They look like the flattys but actually are quite different. We made up side mounts and used flathead rubber cushions......

28. hotdamn

hotdamn

learn sumthin new everyday:)

that said I will still take my chances on the 235's:D

29. hotdamn

hotdamn

and let it be known ladies and gents,

i love this car.

d.