Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Windshield Installation ?????

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Bib Overalls, Jul 13, 2020.

1. My 31 Model A coupe is ready for it's windshield. Top is chopped 4"and new would throughout. Windshield boasts fresh safety glass and is chopped to match. Everything has a nice coat of paint. It is time to put that sucker in it's hole. But wait. The new header is not drilled that I can see for machine or wood screws. You know those pesky little gizmos we all use to hold things, like windshields, to things like oak headers. I have looked at page after page of Model A parts suppliers catalogs, eBay ads, YouTube videos, and net search pictures and articles. Not a clue. I suppose I should know. I took it all apart. But that was ten years ago and that info went out on a brain dump some time ago I guess. So, can anyone tell me what kind of screws to use? I don't see any pre-drilled holes, just a mess of holes strung out across the cover where the windshield hinge meets the header. Do I mark and drill my own starter holes or should I poke around under the tin looking ones that should be there? Obviously I have over thought this problem of mine but I am both anal and compulsive which explains a lot of this. Thanks in advance.

warhorseracing, 5window and ratman like this.
  2. I clamped just the hinge piece against the header and drilled pilot holes for the pan head sheet metal screws I used. then slid the hinge back in the frame and mounted it. don't forget the rubber seal that goes between the hinge and the header.

flatford39 likes this.
  3. Found a couple of earlier threads on the subject and one had an excellent drawing showing how it all goes together. Didn't find them when I first searched the HAMB. Pan head sheet metal screws look like the way to go. I'll do a photo tech for the HAMB when the job is done.

4. Rex_A_Lott

Rex_A_Lott

According to the Les Andrews book I have, use 10 RH #10x1" wood screws. Good luck.

5. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

Snyd's sells the wood screws to anchor the w/s frame...
    if in good shape the hinge slides out one side or the other...
    slide it off, use it to pre-drill your holes... I use a small [1/16"] finish nail as a bit...
    screw it in, then remove it, re-assemble the frame and screw it back in...
    I would get 1 strong guy or 2 kids to support the weight of the frame while you screw it in...
    because it slides left to right it need not be [perfect] you can slide the frame along the hinge
    to get it just right... [get new rubber discs/washers for the swing arms] they help grip the arms...
    model A and '32-'34 truck w/s frames are very similar...
    but the trucks used machine screws not woodies...
    HIH...

6. lake_harley

lake_harley

I'll be facing the same job sometime in the future and in anticipation of that I found and saved this drawing. It answered a lot of questions I had, because I don't think the windshield frame and associated parts were installed correctly when I bought my Model A, so I figured I'd be starting over at some point. Good example of "buyer beware", but that's a whole 'nuther issue.

Hope this helps.

Lynn

141674-1261796118-7bfd75db26e7eaa23ee6cb8dbff053a4.jpg

Last edited: Jul 13, 2020
  7. 5window

5window

Even though my windshield frame is attached, I am saving this thread. Just in case. Thanks.

8. Shutter Speed

Shutter Speed
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks, I needed that too!