Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model a windshield frame seal

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Kevin Ardinger, Jan 24, 2020.

1. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Does anyone have a schematic of the windshield frame seal for a model A? Seems pretty cut and dry but I’m a little confused how the seal goes for the hinge side.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

3. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Gotcha. Thank you. What seals the corners where the other seal come together? I assume you cut the lower and two vertical seals from the one long strip I got new.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

4. woodsnwater

woodsnwater
    from North Al.

Yes you cut the verticles from the one long piece. These cars weren't air or water tight from the factory. If I remember right I cut all three a little long so they would overlap on the corners, but I trimmed off the thick part that goes in the channel so the overlap would lay flat.

5. Kevin Ardinger

Kevin Ardinger

Ok cool. Thanks for the help

6. manyolcars

manyolcars

I have driven my avatar for more than 20 years without any seals, I dont even close the windshield all the way and I learned that very little water gets in and none gets on the upper part of the glass so no wiper is needed. Also, it doesnt seem to matter about the cold--no difference

woodsnwater likes this.
  7. seals should be mitered at the corners and glued together to look nice. I usually use crazy glue.

8. Joe Blow

Joe Blow

Be aware you might have an issue with the rubber hinge gasket. I tried 2 different gaskets from two manufacturers (both were listed as the right gasket #) and they were both too thick (1/8" and 3/16") on the back edge that the wood screws go thru to attach to the frame. Just enough for the frame to hit the gas cap when opening. Did some research and found this was a fairly common problem. My gasket thickness needed to be 1/16", so I used a 1/16" X 1" neoprene strip and that worked great. Others have used butyl tape and fender welting. Hopefully the gasket you have works fine.