Register now to get rid of these ads!

model a windheild apart.

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by RoadsterRod1930, Jul 9, 2008.

1. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

i need to chop my windshield on my model a but the glass is still in it. i did a search and found nothing. does the windshield frame come apart by the screws (one on top of each other ) on either side?? if it does... those babies aint comin out:(

thank you

Last edited: Jul 18, 2009
  2. Stock or aftermarket frame ?

3. Elrod

Elrod

there are two screws on the side and also one screw on the front which goes from front to back. should have a nut on the back side.

Then the top comes off with the hinge, and the glass, if the seal is loose, should slide out the top.

3 fasteners on each side of the windshield.

4. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

5. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

im going to go take another look.

thank you much!

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

let me know how you do..Ive got to get at mine one of these days too..show us some pictures if you can

7. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

well im screwed :) those screws are not coming out ... so i thought. either leave them in and cut the bottom (where im gonna chop it anyways.) and cut the new glass slide the new glass in and weld it up.....

or drill try to drill them out and replace.

i will take pics now. of the bolt locations and such

8. brady1929

brady1929

try wd40 or kroil first

9. JohnEvans

JohnEvans
    from Phoenix AZ

Forget the WD-40 but BP Blaster or Kroil and then use a impact screwdrive . When the screw moves turn it back the other way. Do the back and forth number untill it turns freely. Gets stiff again back to the back and forth bit. The inpact driver and GOOD fitting blade is your friend here.

10. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

i dotn have an impact screw driver i should get one though haha

although being by myself how will i hold the windshield and hit the impact screwdriver....and not break the windshield from the blow.

11. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

There was a pretty good article in one of the Hot Rod magazines just a couple of months ago about doing this.................I'll look later tonight.
    You really need to get the screws out though, just keep working ont them.

12. Robert gilbert

Robert gilbert
    from boston

Heat the screws and get new rubber for the glass . you cant chop it and weld it back with the glass in it . It will come apart do you have a torch ? Or grind the heads off and take the frame apart and drill or use vise grips to get out the screw.

13. Moonglow

Moonglow

I wouldn't worry too much about breaking the glass. You may want to have some modern laminated safety glass made up anyway. I'm not sure of the best resources for this, but maybe someone else would be able to chime in?

I'd tape the heck out of the glass before you start banging away on the frame too. It's more fun wrenchin' than getting sewn up in the ER :D.

14. stillkruzn

stillkruzn
    from Conway, AR

I don't have one either... I usually use a screwdriver and hammer... works the same way... It is amazing what a little tapping on the end of a screwdriver will break loose... and some PB Blaster...

15. RoadsterRod1930

RoadsterRod1930
    from NEPA

from left to right is 1-6.. 1 and two show the screws. which i couldn't get out. haha i did exactly what kruzn said before he posted. i managed to only get one screw out. and the others...no way.

so i decided to chop it and then ill have the glass put in and weld it. well i cut below the sliders for the windshield (so they'd match up to the placement of the studs on the coupe.) i slid the windshield out. then cut my 4 inches out... i mounted the windshield frame and discovered the bottom was 1/4 inch narrower than the rest of the frame. so i cut near the side frame on the drivers side. (where theres practically no curve) then cut a 1/4 inch piece out of the section i took out of the windshield and welded it in the bottom. now alls i got to do is get new glass cut and put it in and weld it. the bottom of the frame is only tacked. and loosely tacked at that . haha i should have cleaned off the shitty paint.

Attached Files:

• 1.JPG
      1.JPG
      File size:
      43 KB
      Views:
    • 3.JPG
      3.JPG
      File size:
      36.5 KB
      Views:
    • 5.JPG
      5.JPG
      File size:
      56.3 KB
      Views:
    • 6.JPG
      6.JPG
      File size:
      68.4 KB
      Views:
    • 7.JPG
      7.JPG
      File size:
      39.7 KB
      Views:
    • 8.JPG
      8.JPG
      File size:
      73.2 KB
      Views:
  16. 21tat

21tat

Had the same problems with mine. Tried penetrating oil, wd40, heat etc. No luck. Decided to split the frame along the top edge to drop the glass in. Chopped it first, half way down middle of the frame, welded it. Put four tabs across the top with set screws to tighten down across top of glass after installation. Works very well.