Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A w/ F1 Steering Box, NEED HELP

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by harmony-h62, Apr 16, 2007.

1. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

I want to put F1 box in my model. First off I don't know what the diffrence is between a F1 and F100. I have 2 boxes one fully splined w/ big nut and a smooth shaft w/ groove for pinch bolt. I have read all the archive tech about f1 in 32 rails. I want to use the splined style. I see I will have to modify the flange to fit into rail. But can I mount it right to the frame in the stock location with only having to modify the flange to mount it? Junior

2. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

I've done this conversion.....not too bad and it is a good swap- smooth, tight steering and the parts are easy to find....all 37-48 boxes have the recirculating sector shaft and worm gear in them...in other words, used parts are everywhere.....

To be honest, go to verntardel.com and order the book.....right NOW.....I mean it...it's the best $10 (with shipping) you'll spend.......you'll know how to do the conversion, several other conversion, you'll know what parts are what, what will interchange, etc...

edit: the smaller box (over-all) is the f1.....the f1 also has the splines......the f1's sector shaft diameter is the same as the A model's.....that's how you can cut the two bolt flange off of the A model and weld it on to the f1 box (when you cut the 3 bolt flange?? off of the f1)

make sure you have the body mocked up on the frame, exactly where you want it......and have the steering column drop already mounted .....mock it all up and tack weld the A flange on to the f1 box.....then take it all back out and weld her up.....

3. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

Thanks for the help.

4. brokenspoke

brokenspoke

What welder did you use? Stick, mig???

5. ne'erdowell

ne'erdowell

I have the model A flange that you need if you're going to do this. I paid $15 + Shipping. If you need it, I'll let it go for that. Dave

6. chopped

chopped

Having the engine in with header helps. And the steering column, your going to have a lot of stuff trying to occupy the same space.

7. Flatheaded

Flatheaded
    from Nordakoda

I bought Tardel's book. Very helpful. Get it, it is well worth the $$$$. Good luck!!

8. banjorear

banjorear

I made a templet that I used to reshape the flange on the F-1 box.

I would gladly mail you a copy. It makes the F-1 flange more triangular. You will have to drill & tap a new hole on the F-1 box.

Will fit like a glove when done & don't need to weld the Model A flange to the F-1 box.

Let me know if you would like a copy.

9. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

i'd like to see this......sounds interesting

what about how far away from the frame the f1 box would sit........wouldn't it hit the engine......when you cut of the A flange and the f1 flange, you actually remove some material, right?

10. banjorear

banjorear

FH Youngin'-

Not sure about the distance thing. Shouldn't hit the engine, but that is why mock up is crucial.

Been done by guys in my area for years. Used flatheads, hemi's, and SBC's with out issue.

Isn't hot rodding fun?

11. 21stud

21stud
    from California

Haven't done this yet(F1/100) but on a 4 banger model A the starter is close to the steering box. I have a 29 with a 7 tooth box and I'm going to put in the later 31 with 2 tooth steering box . 31 has worm and sector adjustements. Big improvement . Bolt in deal.

12. George G

George G

I am working on this now. I have an F1 Bocx with the model A Flange. BUT my rear lake header pipe interferes big time with the steering column.

Not sure what I will do. Drill another hole in the frame to move the steering box back??

13. Flathead Youngin'

Flathead Youngin'

interesting......yep, i like seeing how others solve problems......kind of funny, one person looks at something and sees a way to solve the problem or thinks "it can't be done" and then others are doing it.....

maybe i'm thinking of the stock A box and using the lake style headers i built.....

14. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

I mocked up the F1 box Flathead V8 combo and think it wont wor with
    a "recut" on the stock flange....unless you raise the motor big time
    to make room.
    Also the angle of the F1 flange to the frame will give a strange position
    of the steering whhel.
    @banjorear....can you post some pics of your setup?
    Michael

15. revkev6

revkev6
    from ma

an f1 box with a flathead fits perfect in a model a frame. you may need to trim the flange edges a bit and wedge grind the face of the flange but it will fit fine. at worst (with the f100 box) you have to grind a bit off the bellhousing area of the flatmotor for clearance

16. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Pics, please.
    Michael

17. banjorear

banjorear

I'm actaully using a '48 side steer box on this project.

I'll be mailing a templet to some of the guys that PM'd me. If some can scan the templet & post it, I'll mail it to them as well.

18. banjorear

banjorear

Hey, did you ever get that L-100 cam that I sent to your buddy?

19. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi,
    i will find out in June when i'm over in So-Cal :)
    Should be fine.
    I'm buying some parts at the moment to bring back .
    A friend bought a car in Sacramento, so enough room for parts.
    Send me a template too, or jus post a pic.
    Thanks
    Michael

20. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

Does anybody have more info, There is plenty here but just try to get as much as possible. Thanks

21. 1932tub

1932tub

what is the choice of piman arms for the f100 box? say if you wanted to change from the ball set up, like the modell A to a tapered hole to suit a ball joint?