Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A VIN plate options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by panhead_pete, May 17, 2021.

1. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Hi from Japan. Im importing a stock Model A coupe and to get it registered here need a visible VIN, something it obviously doesnt have as its a stock car. The current engine doesnt match as its been replaced by a later one but the car has a title, Im buying it from someone reputable etc so not concerned that I cant check the VIN myself but need to mount some sort of VIN plate which can be seen during an inspection over here. Ther appears to be a few options, what have you fellas used?
    Thanks
    Pete

2. In California the DMV will assign a number and add it to a plate they supply and rivet to the door jam. They also add a couple of more to the frame and body. They get VERY upset if you try to do it yourself.
    Have you asked your local DMV?

Charlie Stephens IMG_7918.jpeg

panhead_pete likes this.
  3. rusty valley

rusty valley

The real number is under the body, left rail, near the motor mount. you probably know that, its a PIA if you need to show it to any inspectors. One of my friends who regularly buys and sells A & T's, sometimes overseas, always puts a new number plate one the cowl with matching numbers. Available from all the vendors, and it seems to make the inspectors happy so long as it is the real number

panhead_pete likes this.
  4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Several outfits sell one like this one on Ebay

The firewall on the 31 Vicky body I had had a body number tag under the Patent tag. That would be the spot I would want a serial number tag placed if I had a 30/31. if it had a body number tag on it that was long faded so the body number wasn't legible I would stamp the serial number right on the line on that tag. The arrow points to the body number tag on the Vic

The green firewall shows that some bodies didn't have a tag under the patent tag.

The patent tag on a 29 firewall was up above the seam but now I have to go out and look at my 29 Cowl in the morning and see what is behind that tag as the gas tank is up in that area. 31 Vic firewall_LI.jpg 31 model A firewall green.jpg 29 A firewall.jpg

panhead_pete likes this.

5. panhead_pete

panhead_pete
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Thanks great advice re location.

I'd hate to start that converstaion. Things that arent straight forward here normally end in a protracted crap show :)

Cheers, thats exactly what I need to do :)