Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Title questions

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by mountaingoat64, Apr 7, 2017.

1. Hombre

Hombre
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I went thru this in California a couple of years back. I had a 56 F-100 got stopped for speeding just outside Chico. The VIN tag on that model truck was attached to the glove box door ( what is up with that?) CHP officer would not accept that as the vin. I had to make an appointment with the CHP verification officer in Red Bluff. I drive over there with all of the paper work I could find and this guy spent a couple of hours crawling all over that F-100 and could not find a frame number. In the box of papers I got with this truck there was a license registration from like 1970. The officer surmised that it must be the legal vin after all, fills out paper work stating that and assigns it as the legal Vin #. Revits a California CHP/DMV tag to the "FRAME" .

My suggestion is not to try and deal with the California DMV if at all possible, I mean they send those woman to MEAN school before they put them to work. If at all possible try and deal with the CHP.

2. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It really does vary from branch to branch. Small, out-of-the-way ones often work better.

3. proartguy

proartguy
    from Sparks, NV

I bought a '31 a few years ago that had been titled in Nevada and California for many years. I transferred the title to my name in NV with no problem. The engine number had been used, very typical from my experience. The coupe was sold to a buyer in Norway. The authorities there insisted the body be raised to inspect the frame number. Turned out the numbers did not match so they would not grant a title. The car ended up parted out.

In the past the standards for inspection and titles were a lot more lenient. The factory number tag on my '53 Dodge truck was attached with screws by the factory. That would Certainly draw attention by DMV now.

The title requirements vary a great deal from state to state. To the o/p and others, I suggest making sure the numbers match on a Model A or it is titled with the frame number. It will save a lot of hassle to you and the next owner. I would never buy another old car without making sure all is correct to current standards.

4. woodiemike

woodiemike
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Well if anything has come out of this so far, it's that everybody's situation and State seems to be different. For what it's worth, here is my $.02. I had pretty much the same situation. Bought a 31' Ford Roadster out of Arizona four months ago. Was registered with engine serial number. I live in California. I wasn't sure what to expect either. As you know a lot of conflicting opinions out there. I decided to go with the DMV because I felt they might not be as strict as the CHP. Called around and found a office close by that did verification. Not all do. So "D" comes and I drive the car down to the DMV. Get paperwork and wait with the car hood open not knowing what to expect. Lady comes out looks at the paperwork, looks at the number on the motor and says she will be back. 45 minutes and she is still not back. I'm sweating bullets now. Damn are they going to make me show the frame number? That's going to suck! Another ten minutes and here she comes. She very nicely explained that she was sorry for taking so long, but since the car is so old their book isn't very clear on the VIN. So they had to consult "Mr. Google "! HA! Most articles state that the Motor number was used as the VIN on the early Fords. Said love your car, signed everything off. Paid the fees and left with a big sigh of relief. Now all that being said, did I just get lucky? Not sure. But also like you I am going to replace the motor. I'm hoping to hell that once I take the body off the frame the number is the same. If not??? Interested to see what others have to say. Keep us posted.

5. Cliff Ramsdell

Cliff Ramsdell

With the facts being so different from state to state I learned this when doing my Model A here in Connecticut. Before I spent one penny on the car I checked with DMV to see what was required for a VIN verification.

Connecticut had two choices (at the time) 1) have a local police officer come to your place of residence and check the VIN out and fill out the required form or 2) transport the vehicle to the DMV, on a trailer, and have them check the VIN. They only take the frame VIN.

Filled out the form, got the local cops to check out the VIN, good to go. A few years later, car done and off to DMV to get it registered. In line, hands sweating like a mule smuggling drugs it's my turn. NO go, we don't accept that form any longer. Body off the frame to see the VIN at the local inspection station.

Guys there were good, I jacked it up and used 4x4's to hold it up. Guy squirmed in there and BAM, good to go.

Go the frame way and you'll be happy.

Cliff Ramsdell

1344.JPG

6. lodaddyo

lodaddyo

Thats where i found the number on my frame.it wasnt under the cowl but further back , under where the left door would of been

7. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

if your #s are under the body, maybe stamp the same #s just ahead of the cowl...
    if the #s are under the door's subfloor paint the stamped #s white, lightly sand over them, maybe a camera on the end of a cable could see them for the DMV...

inliner2318 likes this.
  8. The numbers on my frame (onder the cowl, drivers side) were not very pronounced. The DMV wanted a rubbing (paper laid over the numbers and rub the paper with a pencil) of the numbers for verification. I could barely see them looking right on top of them. But they were there.

9. NAES

NAES

I have titled several cars that have been out of the system and with only a bill of sale or less. A VIN verifier will come to you and get the paperwork going for you for about $60. Then a DMV service (not AAA!) Will take care of the rest for you. Including issuing you a temporary title and plates during the initial visit.

If you're in the SoCal/LA area I've been using the same people for years. Send me a PM if you need the info.

Sent from my SM-N910V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app