Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A steering question.

Discussion in 'New to the H.A.M.B.? Introduce yourself here!' started by Herve J Boissonnault, Dec 22, 2020.

1. Herve J Boissonnault

Herve J Boissonnault

I have an f1 steering box installed in my 31 roadster in the original location. It works great and I would prefer to keep it. If I aquire a flathead would there be enough room for it to fit with that box in a nice low configuration? Also what model flathead engine would not require any custom bends in the fire wall for a clean install? Thanks for the help.

Sent from my SM-G975U using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. 65stang85

65stang85
    from michigan

I'll take a stab at answering your questions as I'm working through a similar situation, a flathead should fit around your F1 steering box barring it was installed close to the original location. As for the firewall clearance, from what I gather the later year "A"s firewalls are bumped out into the engine bay and do not allow for adequate room for a flatty to fit. I just ran into this yesterday after installing my engine, either recess parts of the firewall to fit or what I'm leaning towards is flipping the firewall around. I have an 8RT in mine, I'm not sure if the earlier years are better at fitting in.

3. Not true on the firewalls. Its been some years since I had the numbers in front of me, but there is more room in a 30-31 than a 28-29. The real problem is that the 8ba and it's derivatives have longer accessory drives on the front of the engine than the earlier engines. You can absolutely fit a 59AB or earlier engine in the stock engine bay of a 30-31 model A. It's tight, but doable. The biggest interference is the fan on the 59ab and the oil fill off of the fuel pump. Lincoln v12's have an angled one that works, or just cut your stock one to fit. The front of the engine will need to use the early single belt pulleys and generator with fan vs. The longer 59ab dual belt and lower mounted fan. You can even modify the 49-53 flathead with the earlier heads, water pumps, and pulleys and they fit fine.

As far as the f1 box, it should work. You'll be pretty tight on the exhaust , but I am fairly certain a set of headers is produced for this application by Reds.