Register now to get rid of these ads!

Customs Model A steering gearbox

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bgatlin, Dec 8, 2020.

1. Bgatlin

Bgatlin
    from Oklahoma

I'm building a 1930 Model A sedan with suicide axle and air ride. What steering gear box will work?

2. alchemy

alchemy

Anything, if you have a big enough hammer and a welder. You'll need to be a little more specific in where you are trying to fit the thing, and what style of steering you want. Side steer, cross steer?

X38 likes this.
  3. Bgatlin

Bgatlin
    from Oklahoma

I think its gonna have to go inside the frame to clear the arms. I can't do crossover because the frame drops below the axle. I've been told a 40 model ford gearbox will work but I'm not sure. I just don't know which way it needs to turn or what pitman arm to use.

4. Im having a hard time picturing a frame dropping below the axle,but I guess with lots of kick up its possible.37-up Ford car is cross steer.Guys have used the Vega box,and 525 GM with good luck.Side steer the F1, F100 can be made to work.Guys weld the model A flange on a F1 box,and it bolts in to the original holes.

chopo and flatford39 like this.

5. flatford39

flatford39

F-1 box but you will need the snout from the A box where it bolts to the frame if you want to use the same mounting holes in the frame.

Bgatlin likes this.
  6. Bgatlin

Bgatlin
    from Oklahoma

The frame is z'd 6 inches so its pretty high up front. I'll have to see if I can find an f1 box

7. chopo

chopo

irishsteve likes this.
  8. alchemy

alchemy

Looks like you will want a side steer box with the pitman arm pointing up, not down. All the F-1 and F-100 boxes point down. Look for a mid-to-late 60's Mustang box.

9. flatheadpete

flatheadpete
    from Burton, MI

I'm having a hard time picturing the air bag garbage not looking like...well, garbage on a suicide front end.

10. Bgatlin

Bgatlin
    from Oklahoma

yes

11. Bgatlin

Bgatlin
    from Oklahoma

I'll post a pic when its done, it will be different than most.

12. Bgatlin

Bgatlin
    from Oklahoma

My drag link comes off from underneath. Will I have to change that setup for a pitman arm looking up?

13. alchemy

alchemy

Depends on the elevation difference of the parts. We haven't seen any pics of the situation, so we don't have any idea how your stuff fits together. Do you have a camera?

X38 and anothercarguy like this.