Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A steering column question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Nick O, Oct 5, 2010.

1. Nick O

Nick O
    from Ohio

I have a 30 Model A Closed Cab Pick up that I am building and I have a steering column question that I hope I can get some help on. The car is on standard A frame rails, SBC, vega box, stock firewall with distributor recess and bench seat in cab. I would like to run a 40's style wheel and my question is what lenghth of column, mfg and style do you think will fit best. Should i go with tilt do to the space limitations in the closed cab pu? Thanks for your help.

2. squirrel

squirrel

Make your own column, it's just a tube with a bearing at each end. Tilt will look quite out of place with a 40s wheel, won't it?

3. F&J

F&J

If making a column sounds too hard for you...

Try to get the whole column from the car with the wheel you want. It will have a steering box attached, but you just cut it off to your length, and then get a lower bearing for it, as well as a ujoint.

If you find the column, there will be people to help get you going, if you get stuck.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

In my opinion it would look out of place too

5. terry48435

terry48435

Speedway sells a cheap column in different lengths with a removable wheel setup like a racecar,Makes it easy getting in and out. It's about $100.

6. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Contact Limeworks here on the Hamb. He is an Alilence vendor. We just got one for a 34 coupe from him with a 40 wheel. Steve will take care of you. Very nice product.

7. If you can score a 60s era tilt somewhere (they tend to run around $150 a shot) it will look reasonable with an early wheel on it. With the GM box I'd just use a GM column of some sort, since the splines will match and you can put most any GM wheel on them.