Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Steering Box

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by twistedridez, Sep 29, 2012.

1. twistedridez

twistedridez

So I read a couple posts on rebuilding steering box and I'm leery about attempting it. My next choice was to find one in better condition than my frozen one, but I can't find any for sale... Whats the deal? Are they hard to find? All Junk? A dime a dozen and nobody bothers to sell them?

2. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

You can't find a rebuildable A steering box? Did you check the Ford Barn? Also as long as you have to change the steering box why not upgrade to an F1?

3. The37Kid

The37Kid

Stone stock a Steering box? Send it to Tam's Model A parts in Mass. they can have them totally rebuilt...........costly if a lot of parts get replaced, but they are good people to deal with. Bob

4. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

'Bout the simplest steering box on the planet to go through. Any of the "A" supliers can sell you what ever you need to go through it yourself pretty easily. I do second Ghost of El mirage's idea for a F-1 box though as a very worthwhile upgrade.

5. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Seven-tooth sector 28-29 box or 2-tooth sector 30-31 box?
    Original car or hotrod? If hotrod, 4, 6, 8 (flattie or OHV)?
    I'd use a stock rebuilt 2-tooth sector box in a 4,6, or flathead Ford V8 car but not one with late OHV and power to spare.

6. Ghost of ElMirage

Ghost of ElMirage

Why would you use a stock rebuilt 2-tooth sector box in a 4,6, or flathead Ford V8 car Pasadenahotrod ?

7. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

NOTE: Spray "WD-40" or better, the column under the steering wheel. Gets very rusty & sticks.

8. RussTee

RussTee

been through all this cost lots of money and was still a model a box price it first then look at later model stuff may save you heaps things like a toyota hilux cheap safe and easy to adapt yeah I know it aint trad but is almost hidden and safe ( note the lower case in the jappas name)