Register now to get rid of these ads!

model A steering box?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by FlatheadsForever66, Feb 25, 2012.

1. FlatheadsForever66

FlatheadsForever66
    from Arizona

My model a 2 tooth steering box seems to leak steering fluid. I just rebuilt it and tighten all the bolts and it leaks like crazy! any ideas or help?

2. What did you put in it for Fluid?
    The Wizzard

3. bct

bct

fill it with grease

4. raven

raven

5. A Rodder

A Rodder

PM elmitcheristo on what he used. Something like corn oil, farmer, implement oil something or other. He said it worked real well

6. I'd suggest changing over to a better steering box such as '60-'66 Ford Econoline or '64-'69 Dodge A-100 van.

7. gashog

gashog

The stiff notchy feel and free play of the stock 2-tooth Gemmer box just seems right in my 29. I had the housing machined for the sector shaft lip seal upgrade the Model A resto guys sell and use their "600W" lube for the gear box and the stock Houdaille shocks on the back. Shrug. It's not a big deal to top it off once a season.

8. You never do this in a model a steering box. 600W only.

9. gashog

gashog

10. FlatheadsForever66

FlatheadsForever66
    from Arizona

thanks everybody for the help

11. Where is it leaking? If you have the box I think you do there is a plate on the end of the box that had a tube extending through the box to above the oil level. This tube was crimped on Model A''s while the later ones were soldered (or somehow better attached). Check with the suppliers like Bratton's. Any chance you left out the gasket for this end plate? Probably a good question for the Model A Forum on fordbarn.com.

Carlie Stephens

12. Ianjaylights

Ianjaylights

I have the same problem. I think it's the gasket