Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Steering box identity

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by skip65, Aug 25, 2018.

1. [​IMG]
    I bought this model A coupe a couple of years ago, I’ve had in storage while finishing other projects. It’s in the garage now, and just noticed the steering box is different to most model A types, as in the sector shaft has a large nut on it. Anyone know?[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPad using H.A.M.B.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2018
  2. F-100. I have one in my 30 Tudor though mine has had the sector shaft milled square to accept the "A" pitman arm

3. rusty valley

rusty valley

i dont think its f100, i'd say 32-34. they have a little nicer ratio for easy steering

4. I don’t think it’s F1 or F100, I have one of those I bought for this project, their bigger. This looks original size. There is a G cast on the main body housing, no other marks visible

5. alchemy

alchemy

Yep, 32-34. There are internal differences in those years, so I can't see from here. There is also a different sector housing (the flange end which bolts to the frame) between those years, but yours looks modified anyways because it still has the Model A bolt pattern. A 32 has a three bolt with one bolt on top, and 33-34 has two bolts on top.

gimpyshotrods and RMR&C like this.
  6. Only a quess, but maybe from a Russian Gaz. They built Model A lookalikes till 1948. Could explain the "G" cast in it.

7. Thanks for help rusty valley and alchemy, I think I will still change over to the F100 box i‘ve got
    Dutch deuce.. the chances are slim, even tho the cars in Switzerland, it’s a USA import
    Thanks