Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A spring, 33-36 axle, and 37-41 bones???

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by The Indian, Nov 15, 2015.

1. The Indian

The Indian
    from oklahoma

Ok, I'm getting ready to put the front suspension together on my coupe. Its a 27 T coupe on model a rails. I have a 37-41 wishbone and a model a front spring. I'm planning on buying a 33-36 drop axle from Joes Speed Shop this coming week. Before i start throwing money around I was wondering if all these parts would work together? Or do I need to go with model a wishbones and a model a drop axle??? If the combo I have in mind (model a spring, 33-36 axle, and 37-41 wishbones) will work what spring perches do i need to run? I'm not stuck on the 37-41 wishbones i just have a whole front end i picked up cheap for spindles and backing plates. Guess it might be me being cheap but I would like to use them if possible.

Thank you'
    The Indian

2. bct

bct

99% sure Perch width on 32-36 is 2" . Your bones 2.25. So use spacers. Model A bones are pretty short. 28-31 Spring will work. Use common hot rod perches . Stock model A perches will run short on thicker bones.
    I plan on this same set up undropped.

3. F&J

F&J

I am pretty sure the A front spring is not the correct width to the spring eyes, for a 32-36 axle. Get some more answers from others.

Also, the spring eyes are smaller on the A spring and A perches, so 32-36 bushings are different diameter

the later bone will work with spacers, but if you are not spitting the bones, then the perch pin hole width is wrong for the 32-36 axles

4. bct

bct

5. The Indian

The Indian
    from oklahoma

I really didn't think perch width would be an issue. Thanks for confirming that for me. You wouldn't happen to know what size bung I need to split my bones do you? I'm about 1000 miles away from them or I'd measure them myself. I work 3-4 weeks at a time in Ohio and only have a week off between hitches. So I try to order and track down parts before I'm home so I can go ahead work on my car as soon as I get in.

Thanks,
    The Indian

6. F&J

F&J

Are you only looking at the axle pin location difference? I am somewhat sure the A spring won't be the correct spread....and it could be not just that .125 on the pins, but it might be a different angle on the A perches.

Not saying who is right or wrong, but someone on here must have the correct info on the A spring "reach", versus 32-36

On the bungs, I just use both ends of a spare 35-48 tierod, welded in. Depends on how fancy you want.

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  7. bct

bct

http://www.droppedaxles.com/FORD_AXLES.html

Posies lists one spring for A -34
    what more can i say?
    I like the look of my 36 axle and plan on swapping out the A axle. My bushing are already turned down to fit A eyes and the larger aftermarket perch pins, it was easy .
    i make my own bungs for 11/16 ends but im pretty sure the common commercial ones are one size fits all.
    have an awesome day.

*36 converted to spring on top

Last edited: Nov 16, 2015
  8. chopndrop

chopndrop

"A" spring will work with 33-36 axle, later axle has only slightly wider perch bosses. Axle height is 2" so any split wishbone can be fit, using spacer if using other than 32-36 as others axles are 2.25"

9. The Indian

The Indian
    from oklahoma

Appreciate the info!