Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Sport Coupe Project for the wife

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Apr 10, 2010.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

por 15 on the inside ..shitty cell phone pic

[​IMG]

Got the engine degreased, primed and painted..thanks Koz for the paint. This color should look nice against what I have planned for the body. Couldn't help laying the intake and valve covers on. Had no place for the painted engine in the shop so I just stuck it back in for the moment

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 10, 2010
  2. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

What color is that on the motor??? I originally planned on my 265 being painted a color similar but ended up going up with black. That looks killer!

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

It's called "waste management maroon" ....seriously...hahaha.....and is a fleet industrial vehicle color. I used a single stage paint with hardener and sprayed it with a gun. Koz used it on his roadster pickup a couple years back and had some left over. It's close to 40 Ford Mayfair Maroon

Last edited: Aug 11, 2010
  4. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

5. Wow Jerry, I totally missed this thread and had no idea you were building this. It looks freaking awesome. You and your wife should be proud. Remember I have that louvered visor if you want it. Let me know and I'll bring it out to you.

And people call you a music teacher!

6. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Hey there, thanks for the compliment..been working on it all summer. Hope to see you soon.

7. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Back at it tonight. Got the water pump painted and installed. I forgot to paint it the other day when doing the engine. Ordered the crank and water pump pulleys too...should be here Friday. I got chrome ones..but don't want it to look gold chainer so I might paint them black when they come..not sure yet.

I decided to go with an older pair of rams horn manifolds instead of the lake headers. I think these will suit the car better. Cleaned them up and painted them along with the generator bracket. Starting painting the generator tonight too...Need to get some more bolts for exhaust manifolds..ran out

[​IMG]

8. No one will call you a chainer with chrome pulleys. You could always have a little late 50s early 60s vibe going on.

9. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Jerry, That SBC is looking very sharp ! Love the industrial Maroon and the polished aluminum. Very nice combo. Agree about you choice of the ram horns over Lake Headers. It is very clean, simple and will be easy to take care of.

10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Still waiting on some parts for the motor..the shop ordered the wrong damn pulleys.
    I made a decklid skin tonight. Bent up a flat sheet of steel to specs and went to town with my shrinker machine. After a while I had a nice new skin. Sprayed my generator and some brackets with a single stage jet black enamel that looks killer. It's a factory Harley Davidson paint that my friend Don had left over from a paint job. Here's some shots of the new skin
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Yanking the motor back out and the body off Monday so I can prime and paint the frame and suspension.

11. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Attaboy Jerry! I like those ramhorns on there.

12. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Motor looks great. Nice job on the decklid.

13. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Got the motor just about finished. Have to install the distributor and plug wires and it will be all ready to fire. My pulleys finally came in and I put them on along with a fan,spark plugs, generator,and oil fill tube.

Couldn't yank the body off because I had to go with an F-1 box instead of my 40 Ford. This was necessary because of the change in exhaust manifolds and the steering box mounting location. Took longer then expected to find a decent F-1 setup..but a good friend came through with a nice one. Have to get it mounted up this week...and then I can paint the frame.

Scored a nice set of 50 Ford trunk hinges from 1oldrat which I started to put on tonight. I think they look neat. Got the holes in the body drilled..need to do the decklid holes.

[​IMG]

Stogy likes this.
  14. rocknrollratfink

rocknrollratfink
    from LA

You have mad skills!

15. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

With some help from my buddy Eli..I should have the steering all done by the end of the week..then the body comes off finally for the last time...more pics soon

16. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

took a break from this the past couple weeks....but got back on it again.

got help putting the steering in so she now turns...My Speedway order came in so I installed the drag links and the new tie rods...heated and tweaked the pitman arm a little. Got the firewall boxed and clearanced for the distributor. Flattened the upper portion of the lower firewall to make boxing easier...just some finish welding on the firewall to do when the body is off. Should look seamless when welded and blended.. ...inside floor finished completely.

fan shortened and installed..needs paint..

reverse eye main leaf installed in the rear...took a couple leafs out of the front too. Once I get the right tires and wheels on it should sit just right..

Time to yank the body off!!! Finally

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Sep 3, 2010
  17. Pat Pryor

Pat Pryor

18. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Jerry, You are making some excellent progress ! Like the look of the manifolds. Simple is usually more of a statement. Looking forward to further updates.

19. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Started ripping her apart today for paint!

20. lorodz

lorodz

how can i get a pair of them punched aprons ....without the rod end hole in them ...?? let me know

21. Hot Rod Michelle

Hot Rod Michelle

22. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Update.

Body is off the frame and that hogged up quarter is getting some metalwork attention from my friend Koz. I was going to just bang it out and mud it up..but I just couldn't get myself to do something half assed like that. It needs to be right.

Afterwards we are going to make a removable top from aluminum which I will have upholstered later. I was going to go the fiberglass top route like Clark did..but I think I can make one faster and cheaper from metal.

Looks like it's going to be 41 Ford Niles Green with black suspension and maroon wheels ( to match the motor) with wide whites on 16 in 40 Ford steelies
    The Niles green is a really light blue-green with no metallic. Interior will be maroon and the dash will be Niles with a maroon wheel and column.

Currently, the frame and suspension is torn down and I'm prepping everything for prime and paint. I'd like to be able to take this thing for a spin before it starts snowing....damn east coast!!

Last edited: Oct 2, 2010
  23. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Started laying down some color on the wheels in my downdraft booth..haha ..got them primed this morning and shot the maroon on them this afternoon.

Also primered the side aprons

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

24. Oooh, that maroon is nice!

25. Clark

Clark

Can't wait to see the colors come together.
    Clark

26. That is a bitchenmaroon!

27. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Color looks nice. Cant wait to see bigger panels painted to see what it really looks like.

28. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I should send you something to squirt that paint your using on the next type you spray so I can color match it here. It looks awesome!!!

29. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Back at it again tonight. Wheels are dry..came out really nice. Grounded down some welds on the frame ...wiped it down and gave it a couple heavy coats of primer.

Went up to Koz's tonight to help work on the quarter...it's coming along nicely....he's fabbing up some nice patches for the beltline

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

30. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

My dad was sick..so I took the past couple of days off..but I made some progress.

Got the frame, front and rear suspension primed and painted. I wasnt happy with how the paint place mixed the color for the frame..so I added some black and got it just right.

When things were dry I hung the front end suspension.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Last edited: Oct 9, 2010