Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Sport Coupe Project for the wife

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by HomemadeHardtop57, Apr 10, 2010.

1. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Just picked this up today at a local swap meet, on the cheap. Going to build this with the wife for her to drive. Lots of surface rust, but very solid. It should clean up nice. Put a decklid that I louvered on just for ideas.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Nov 21, 2013
  2. sawzall

sawzall

jerry

I knew I should have hit maple grove today!!

hard to beat the look of clarks old sport coupe..

3. There is a Metallic Blue one with a black Haartz top on it here on teh HAMB, stunning car!

4. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

pretty cool body shell for cheap , post some build photos as you put it together

5. cuznbrucie

cuznbrucie

6. lucky girl. wanna adopt a son? lol.

7. carcrazyjohn

carcrazyjohn
    from trevose pa

Just curious what cheap is ,Awesome score Should clean up

8. Yeah, no shit, and a louvered decklid ta' boot! How cool!

9. fleetside66

fleetside66

He'll probably be done with it in about five weeks. (Wife?)

10. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Tonight I cut and installed the 36 Ford dash.
    Originally, I was going to section it right down the middle and use that trim piece to hide the cut. After scratching my head for a while I decided to leave the middle intact and take what I need out from both ends as to not disturb the center ashtray.
    I took about an inch out from each end and contoured each side to match the slope of the cowl sides. Afterwards I cut off the upper corners from the ends that I chopped off, reshaped them to match what I had going and welded them back on the top corners of the dash. For mounting, I welded tabs with bolts on the back side of the dash which go into the stock Model A dash rail mouting locations. Still a little finishing to do but it fits nice.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

11. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

yeah..I'm married...not sure if you knew it. ...at least I'm making her think it's for her ;)

I had that hanging on the wall

nah...maybe 7

Last edited: Jun 28, 2010
  12. ironandsteele

ironandsteele

$500? that is cheap...

13. Koz

Koz

Lookin' good Bro. See you this weekend.

14. That is cool. I like your progress so far the decklid and dash look great!

15. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Damn, dude! I woulda bought that too! That dash looks killer.

16. dirtbag13

dirtbag13

looks like a cool project ! like the dash choice

17. F&J

F&J

Good choice with cutting the dash ends instead of the middle. Nice work, nice score on the car.

18. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

ha...that was taken from secret stash of goodies!

19. twofosho

twofosho

These things look great when they're done, especially full fendered with a 2-3 inch haircut, but you don't want to know what the wood kit for the top is going to cost!

20. TMoney

TMoney

The dash and deck lid look great. Looks like a damn solid car for $500.

21. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Dash looks like it was always there. Great work.

22. man... I wish mine had been that nice... AND that cheap. :(

[subscribed]

23. ridgy didge

ridgy didge

Yeah,for the wife.Why didn't i think of that..next time

24. fbama73

fbama73

You got a model A body for your wife?!?! Why don't I ever find trades like that?

25. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

A little more progress today...actually got alot done...
    This morning I threw my Model A frame IN my dad's old station wagon...yup....and hauled it up to my friends place so we could start boxing the frame. Got a set of Dagel's boxing plates which are cut perfect and are made of a really great alloy which welds nice. Going to do a little step in the back like in the Tardel hot rod book which will work nice with the A spring that I'm going to be running over top my rear end.
    Found a set of cool spare tire ring front fenders off an old 50's hot rod which I'm going to be running up front. These were cut nice and have the brackets ready to go.

[​IMG]

I'm going to be running juice brakes up front with these finned Buick drums. I did a little degreasing and cleaning of the backing plates today too. The drums are redrilled for Ford and have the inside lip machined out to fit over the backing plates.

[​IMG]

I also fitted the hinge piece that bolts under the header to the header and installed the windshield frame just for some inspiration. It has a 1946 North Carolina sticker on it. ..pretty neat...I'll take it out later and will have new glass put in after I chop it and the top.

[​IMG]

I then bobbed a set of rear fenders and bolted them on. The wife wants fenders so this is as close as I'm willing to go. Did a little minor sanding on the door and yes..there is good clean metal underneath...that will be a fun weekend of sanding and grinding to get it clean..but there's lots of good metal underneath the years of shit.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

Also cleaned the axle that I'm going to use, 35-36 Ford..and split a set of early 40's bones. I'm going to heat and bend the spring shackle arms and make lower shock mounts out of them..a neat old trick I saw last year on a fellas car up at Lattimore.

[​IMG]

26. Cool. I like the "fenderettes" plan.

27. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

Tonight I spent some time working on the spindles. I knocked out the old brass bushings with a socket, removed what was left of the torched off backing plates, removed the old grease fittings, and cut off the old rusted tie rods from the steering arm holes. Luckily all the backing plate nuts came loose without much of a fight.
    Afterwards I put them in the parts washer and gave them a good scrubbing. They are all ready for new bushings and kingpins which I'll do this week. Then I'll give them a quick wire wheeling..then paint.
    [​IMG]

28. oldskool30

oldskool30

looks good Jerry!

29. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Keep on cookin' Jerry! It's gonna be COOL!:cool:

30. 35mastr

35mastr
    from Norcal

Thats some real quick progress. Gonna look good with the fenders.