Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A spindle brake options?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Apr 20, 2015.

1. I will be starting to mock up the front end of my A build in a few weeks. Looking for brake options using original A spindles.
    Is there any common 10" drums that can be modified to fit the A spindles so I can reuse all the original steering and run 5 on 4 1/2 stud pattern?
    I have F1 spindle and brake assy I'm saving for a future V8 rebuild.
    Willing to even run disc brakes if I can find calliper brackets (will hide in the SoCal covers)

2. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

Check Speedway as they have a setup. However, wheel choices are limited as you cannot use the 16" Ford wires or steelies.

3. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

Easiest way is 39 -48 Ford brakes, almost a bolt on and adapters available for 5 on 5 1/2 to 5 on 4 1/2 or you could redrill the hubs and drums. You have to slot the mounting holes on the backing plates a bit and there are two small spacers that Speedway sells needed.

4. You may want to swap on some new or salvage 37-41 or 41-48 spindles because they use a thrust bearing under the axle beam. IIRC, the kingpin boss height on the A axle beam is correct for this conversion. The kingpin diameter is the same.
    This leads to F1 hubs and brakes or a disc brake setup.

5. manyolcars

manyolcars

6. Would love to just run 39 to 48 spindles and brakes but so hard to find here in Australia for a reasonable price.
    It costs the same here to use all aftermarket parts as purchasing/rebuilding original Ford items.
    I do have the F1 brake and spindle assy I'm saving for a V8 build as this is from a very rare RHD F1 and want to eventually reuse the factory Ford steering assy
    This RPU banger build is not going to have a dropped axle so I cannot use it for this build.
    Anyone in Australia have 39 to 48 backing plates available to purchase?