Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical model a spindle assembly question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by kevinwalshe, Oct 22, 2015.

1. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Tried the search function and couldn't find the answer. So I have the frontend off my 29 model A disassembled and went to assemble it last night. I feel like a newb because I can't seem to remember the order the spindles came apart (probably in part to an inch of grease and dirt around everything. I bought a So-Cal 4" dropped axle and need to know the king pin assembly order. As they are assembled, is it king pin, felt cup, felt, bearing, through top bushing of spindle, then axle, then lower bushing of spindle? Is that correct? It seems I have about 1/16" of slop between the spindle bushings and axle. I may just need shims but need to know the correct order they go together. Perhaps someone has a microfiche or pic of it to help this newb out. Thanks in advance guys!
    Kevin

2. patmanta

patmanta
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Woburn, MA
    1. MASSACHUSETTS HAMB

Doesn't the bearing go between the bottom of the axle and the top of the bottom hole on the spindle?

I've got a little wine in me from a retirement lunch at work, so forgive me if I'm remembering incorrectly.

3. akoutlaw

akoutlaw

Yes

patmanta likes this.
  4. Bulletnose26

Bulletnose26

5. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

It would appear they were assembled wrong when I got the front end because the bearing was on top of the upper spindle bushing. I'll post a pic when I get home to show the distance available above and below the axle.

6. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Here is a pic I had on my phone. You can see the bearing on top, and the locking pin fit appropriately. I can't find any info on this setup. Sorry for the poor quality, had to zoom in.
    ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1445545726.392630.jpg

7. Stock Model A setup;
    [​IMG]

dmar836 and Hitchhiker like this.
  8. that's the way model A's are set up. They are different than the V8 stuff. Are you using model A spindles on a dropped v8 style axle? what kingpins do you have? You must use the king pin that is designed for the spindle. for example on my truck, I have a dropped model A axle, 39 roundback spindles, and use the 39 kingpins. If I was using A spindles I would need A kingpins.

9. I actually have seen them with the bearing under and the bearing over. The bearing under is the most logical place and that is where Ford put it, in the most logical place. ;) Under is correct.

10. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Thanks @gwhite Where is the felt, and felt cup positioned on the stock setup?
    I am using Model A spindles and king pins. Just called So-Cal and they said it is set up for 32-48? spindles which explains the different sizes. Now I'm on the hunt for some shims...
    Kevin

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
  11. In a Model A, the thrust bearing goes on top (between the brake actuator cup and spindle). If you are using the modern T-83 bearing, you'll probably end up having to shim it, as it's not quite as thick as Ford's original spec. I was taught to put the shims between the bearing and the spindle and open face of the bearing facing down.

Felt cup goes in at the bottom of the axle, felt side down. Some of the aftermarket felt cups are too thick...you might need to do some filing. When the kingpins are fit properly, there should be no vertical play and no binding.

X38, Hitchhiker and kevinwalshe like this.
  12. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Once again, @gwhite to the rescue! Thanks to everyone for all your help! Should be able to get this thing all bolted up tonight.
    Kevin

13. Kevin, I may have some spare NORS felt cups laying around...lemme know if you need 'em. I can throw them in an envelope and send 'em your way.

14. Glad to see @gwhite got you sorted. I was able to get shims locally at Napa.

15. kevinwalshe

kevinwalshe

Found out tonight that the axle needs to be filed a tiny bit because the forging is a little proud and it interferes with the spindles, which won't let them line up. Looks like I've got some whittling' to do.

16. Ron Brown

Ron Brown
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

GWhite is 100% correct bearing goes on top of spindle, grease felt and cup below axle. look at GWhites picture and you can envision why the bearing goes there. The weight of the car bears down on the axle and the spindle bears upward which is why the bearing goes on top. with lock pin in place the weight of the car bears on the bearing.

Last edited: Oct 22, 2015
    dmar836 likes this.