Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Sedan Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Sutton, Dec 27, 2005.

1. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

So I am trying to think ahead on my 30 Tudor project. I have the frame just about done and will be mocking up the front and rear end next.

The car will be channeled, chopped and have a roof filler patch.

My question to the guys that have done this before is, in which order would these things need to be done to save myself time and heartache.

I would think the channel would be first, then the chop, then the patch, but I am interested in hearing your take on this.

Thanks in advance.

2. drhotrodmd

drhotrodmd

I always chopped them 1st before it leaves the stock frame then you know the doors will go back on.

3. HotrodBoy

HotrodBoy

I'll be folowing this thread too, as I am in the same situation. 30 Tudor to be chopped channelled but not filling the roof, yet? I have a book called Boyd Coddington's(no pics or writing by him, no billet either, just bodywork) How to do Hotrod Bodywork, written by Tim Remus, they chop and roof fill a 30 Tudor step by step. they chop it first then roof fill. Thinking through it chop first as drhotrodmd said leave the body sub rails in and put some temporary bracing between them and the door pilars etc to hold the bottom half of the body in shape while doing the chop top. Chop the top, then cut out the nessasary temporary bracing(and body sub rails) to channel it, if you can leave some bracing in while channeling it so the top of the car stays in shape while you construct the raised floor framework.Finally fill the roof, by leaving it to last gives you plenty of room to get round inside the car and keeps the weight of the chopped roof down plus if you have to add or subtract metal from the roof sides or rear quaters you dont have to cut up the new roof panel if you leave it to last. I have been told by an owner of a heavily chopped channeled Tudor that the bodys are quite floppy especially in the rear if they are not braced well while doing the C'n'C.

I would be interested to see some pics of your chassis too.....:D

4. 29 sedanman

29 sedanman
    from Indy

I had the top chopped and filled first. Then I got my chassis the way I wanted it. Then lastly I channeled the body over the frame. I channeled last so I knew I wouldn't have to change any of my channel work because of work needed to the chassis. This may not be the best way it is just how I did it and it seemed to work well for me.

5. You say tomato- I say tomatoe, I was thinking I would get the chassis built, then channel the body over it and get it mounted right - then chop it. I think mounting the body to the frame first allows the existing support to the rest of the body from the top to remain intact especially since you are going to cut all the sub flooring out for the channel.

You also have more room to work inside the car on the frame mounts before it is chopped. I don't know, just my thoughts.

6. Rusty

Rusty

1. Get your chassis rolling

2. Then Channel the body to your likings

3. Mount the body and get it all square

4. Fill The roof, Then Chopp it

Just my two cents, Sounds all good but I always seem to do things backwards anyhow.

7. Sutton

Sutton
    from BTR

Thank you all for the replies.....Lots of good information.

Will keep you all posted.