Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A roof types

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by flattyAndy, Nov 24, 2013.

1. flattyAndy

flattyAndy

Besides the r wood and fabric what is a cool alternative way to put a roof on a 29 truck cab? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1385325377.786985.jpg

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

2. fiftyv8

fiftyv8
    from CO & WA

Full sheet steel homemade roof not that hard and not too big to be a problem.

I used an early Granada roof turned sideways. You will need to roll your own side edgings and weld a panel in between the edges, wooden back upper panel will need to be replicated in metal.

The first 3 pic's are of somebody elses project I saw on the internet, could have even been the HAMB.

The last pic is my roof not completed yet.

You can also use 26/27 model T coupe or tudor steel latch pillars in your pickup in place of the original wooden pillars...

http://www.jalopyjournal.com/forum/showthread.php?t=438263

Attached Files:

Last edited: Nov 28, 2013
  3. motoandy

motoandy
    from MB, SC

Take measurements and head to the local pick a part. Good luck.

4. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

To add to that you might even make some patterns out of cardboard that are cut out with what should be the original curvature of the roof you are trying to replace to be able to find a roof with a matching shape. That may make for a bit less metal work when you install it.

5. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

radiator and top 001.jpg radiator and top 002.jpg Why not roll and pleat it... click the pic for larger image

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
  6. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

How did you mount that top scrap metal 48? With hidden snaps?

7. scrap metal 48

scrap metal 48

No, simply put,laid 3/8" plywood in the groove around the top then laid another 3/8" plywood covered with material on top of the first piece.. The top is held with bolts that were put in the top before the material went on...

8. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

ok thanks for responding. :cool:

9. mike bowling

mike bowling

back end of an '82 4 dr. Buick roof - rear contour fit perfect

Attached Files:

10. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Wow, a perfect fit Mike!

11. belair

belair

Mike - by back end you mean the trunk? Would like to know a little more. Thanks.

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

I used the back end of the main roof, including part of the bend where it went down to the rear window. I had them cut it too big at the junkyard, then fit it back at the garage ( you can still see the center line) I took a picture of the side view of the coupe and walked around comparing rooflines till something looked close, and this one slid in like it was made for it. The year I posted may not be exact- this was about 10 years ago- but it was definitely a full size Buick.-------- I did a roof for a Tudor with a Chevy conversion van roof- the van roof turned 180* fit perfect ( front of the van roof on the back of the Tudor roof). I liked it because it had ribs that went UP instead of "troughs". I cut the ends off the salvage piece and finished the front with them, so the rib ran full length and had finished ends front and back.--- I have another coupe now and I'm thinking of an insert like "scrapmetal48" did- looks mighty fine!

Attached Files:

Last edited: Jun 4, 2015
    edcodesign and CajunJalopy like this.
  13. denis4x4

denis4x4
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Colorado

image.jpg I made my own top wood as this '29 has been stretched 6-1/2" and then treated it like a padded top. The profile is considerably flat as compared to a stock roof

Gas_Tires_Oil likes this.
  14. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

Beautiful job Mike! Thanks for sharing the pics and details of the job.

15. mike bowling

mike bowling

"Gas Tires Oil"--Thanks for the compliments- I lucked out, but I did do some Research and Development too! Hope it helps someone else get closer to their project coming together. Drive safe and have a great summer. Mike........BTW- love the Sonny Barger "signature" statement; sounds about perfect to me!

Gas_Tires_Oil likes this.
  16. Gas_Tires_Oil

Gas_Tires_Oil

yeah man, I live by it. ;)