Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A Roadster pickup - Seating

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by buickwagon, Jul 6, 2017.

1. 28 Model A Roadster Pickup, anyone got any great suggestions for a bench seat ? or am I better off just biting the bullet and purchasing a Glide Frame - (or other Brands ?)

2. 2935ford

2935ford

Find a stock seat?

3. Dino 64

Dino 64
    from Virginia

Middle row, Dodge Caravan will fit. A couple of threads running about it now. Check out finessguy 30 coupe build thread, he shows the whole process.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

4. Frank Carey

Frank Carey

I removed the wooden support pieces that went up to the top edge of the bucket. Not needed. That got me a few inches. Had a 100% foam cushion as part of a LeBaron-Bonney interior kit. Worked for me but I could have sliced a piece off of the cushion to make it thinner. Didn't need to.

5. Jalopy Joker

Jalopy Joker

save your $, Glide not the answer - usually helps to have the leading edge of seat a bit taller than rest of seat bottom - gives more support to legs

Just Gary likes this.
  6. A Boner

A Boner

Plywood and foam on the stock seat riser.....build a minimal seat, or you will never fit in it comfortably. If you are a midget, a stock seat might work.

Itchy-Pit likes this.
  7. modelAsteve

modelAsteve

Spend the $ and get real upholstery foam! Don't need it very thick. If you aren't to boney maybe 2" on the bottom and 1" on the back. If that is to soft and you are bouncing on the plywood just glue another layer on until you are happy!

8. ENUF 41

ENUF 41

What ModelASteve said, stock riser and a good hand made seat, most upholstery shops can build a good one!

9. I second that. In my current RPU that's what I did. Really wanted to run Austin Healey buckets, like I had in my first RPU, but in 1960 they were $25 each, now they are 3 grand a pair. :eek:

Itchy-Pit likes this.
  10. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

Model A roadster pickups have precious little room to start with, and if you have any kind of firewall set back to accomodate a later V8 engine, it really gets cramped. I have a Dodge Caravan seat in my 30 Model A coupe, and it fits like it was made for the car, but I don't think it would be the best choice for the RPU. Like everyone's been saying, a fabricated seat made from plywood and foam is the way to go, whether you use the stock seat riser or cut the stock one out as mine is and fabricate a shorter one. By doing a fabricated seat, you can better fit it so that it fills up all the space between the sides of the cab for a more finished look without costing you any interior space that you really need. Any upholstery shop should be able to come up with a plywood base and the foam, as others have suggested. Here're pictures of the interior in my 29 RPU. The seat is pretty minimal, and interior space is still tight. 7-27-16 Pickup 007.JPG 7-27-16 Pickup 006.JPG 7-27-16 Pickup 007.JPG 7-27-16 Pickup 006.JPG vintage Ford 015.JPG vintage Ford 015.JPG

pecker head, mike bowling and Dino 64 like this.
  11. Nice interior Craig. Like to see the rest of the RPU. Who's lap belts are those?

12. mike bowling

mike bowling

4-25-2012 046.jpg Caravan seats ( center one from a Grand Caravan) fits all the A's and '32's perfect. I've used them on coupes, roadsters, a Tudor and my friends '32 roadster. Around 50 bucks at a junk yard.
    Pic is a '30 Roadster

Dino 64 likes this.
  13. Do the Caravan seatbacks fold forward??
    Would like that feature to access area behind seat in my '31 A coupe project

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

14. kiljoy

kiljoy

Does it matter which year caravan?

Sent from my SM-N910P using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

15. Craig Owens

Craig Owens

The seat belts are from Rich Design...you'll have to do an internet search, but they use vintage hardware and new belt webbing. Very nice belts...expensive, but nice. Here's what my truck looks like now. Incidentally, after seeing the picture someone posted of a Caravan seat in a roadster pickup, I have to admit, it is a good fit. Fred's 12-21-16 004.JPG IMG_20160702_160615104_HDR.jpg IMG_20160702_160724052.jpg

pecker head, Chili Phil and Dean Lowe like this.
  16. mike bowling

mike bowling

I think it's in the post someplace- I wrote down mid to late 90's Grand Caravan in the garage. There may be others that work- key is the width. The rear seat is 2" too wide. Middle is 42 1/2"

17. Craig, I like to think I have enough experience to know a good looking RPU when I see one. Yours is very cool! You nailed the stance, your a man after my own heart, you kept the fenders! I will check into the belts, thanks.

Chili Phil likes this.
  18. To attain maximum legroom you are going to need Bonneville 2012 Road Trip 203.JPG to build your own seat frame. Depends on how low you want to sit. I had Bugeye seat frames in mind with pads. I just had to sell it due to lack of legroom with a bad knee. I know a thing or two about the cramped confines of an rpu. Try to make it as comfortable as you can.

19. Fitnessguy

Fitnessguy

[​IMG][​IMG]
    Mine is a 2000 caravan middle seat as mentioned. Yes the seat folds down. I had to cut the folding handle down and re weld as it was tight against the body. Fits perfect in my opinion. Try and get a seat that the foam is in good shape on like this one as it will be easy to get recovered.

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

Dino 64 likes this.
  20. A Boner

A Boner

image.png Yes, you nailed the stance! Killer RPU.

Chili Phil likes this.
  21. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Rear seat out of a 1997-2002 Jeep Wrangler! It folds f
    [​IMG]

1 of 2

orward!

Last edited: Jul 11, 2017
  22. 51 mercules

51 mercules

Here's one in my roadster!

[​IMG]
    51 mercules, Dec 26, 2016 Report

23. Mule Farmer

Mule Farmer
    from Holland MI

I can post up some pics of mine. Have the stock seat frame with seat made from plywood and foam and upolsterd. I'm 5 10 and I barely fit. Working the clutch and breaks I have to litilerly pull my feet back as far as I can to get them on the pedals. This winter I'm going to see if I can move the pedals forward a little and pull the wood braces out from behind the seat. But every half inch here and there really does help.

Sent from my SM-G920V using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

24. lots of great feedback here - thanks everyone