Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A roadster is a roller *updated 12/10/09*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Nov 29, 2009.

1. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Don't sell yourself short,Chris.You're doing great stuff here and inspiring other people into the bargain.Builds threads like yours are the best thing about the HAMB and the reason I'm on here so often.
    So,yes,It's your fault I have no fuckin' sex life!:D
    Mark

2. So today my Brother cae over and helped me set the body back on the frame. I am happy to reprt that everything has just kinnda fallen into place...pedals, steering column, and shifter all fit and work as they should! Now I just gotta get a column drop rigged up and make up a gas pedal!

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

3. HeyyCharger

HeyyCharger

So would I!

Personally my favorite intake by FARR!!!

Long live the PM-7................

Great stuff Chris.

Love your taste.

HC.

4. Today I got a 40 pickup colunm and wheel, my 32 coulmn drop, cut the column down and tried to get this mess of parts to work. Man, it looks so bitchin, problem is I'm such a tall dude (6'4") that things are getting tight. I was able to squeeze in and out of the car with the stock A column/wheel/drop by shorteneing the seat and shoving it back. Also, the A steering shaft comes out of the top of the box, were as the F-1 box has the shaft coming out of the bottom. This goves the wheel a more "laid back" position and therfore it has to be a little farther way from the dash or the top will get to close to the windshield....followin me? So, I can either try to score a smaller wheel (only option I like would be a bell or similar), or may try to lower the seat more. If I had a set of nice bomber seats I would try those as well, although I like the bench a lot. So, gotta figure this out, but progress none the less.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

5. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

hmmm...I bet a 5'6" dude would fit in that just right...;)

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  6. Larry, got any bomber seats for sale?? I'm partial to the seat I have, but some WWII seats would probably solve all my problems ;)

7. tikidiablo

tikidiablo
    from so cal

Chris , diggin' the build. It's helping a ton on my 27 roadster build. Love them nerd'o glasses too. -OO-

8. please don't put bomber seats in it.:( I know you may have too, but IMHO it might ruin the feel of the build. I'm not trying to tell you how to build your car, but that bench just looks right in there.

are the steering wheels expensive?

9. 3wLarry

3wLarry
    Member Emeritus
    from Owasso, Ok

sorry buddy...all 10 of them have left the building.

kidcampbell71 likes this.

10. Yeah, I hear ya. I love the seat thats in it...but I gotta be able to drive it. I think I can drop the seat a little more. Those Bells are pretty spendy for an orriginal one, but if it makes it comfy to drive then so be it. I love everything thats in it now, if I can make it work that would be best.

11. Thats OK larry, probably all for the best :D

12. Chris;
    I just ran across this thread. Thanks for taking the time to put all this on the H.A.M.B.
    Nice job!
    I Love it all!

___| \__
    -O----O-

13. couverkid

couverkid

Maybe take your bottom cushion to a upholstery shop and see what they can do. I did that with my 32 coupe and now have the seat back for a new seat back( no springs just foam) a couple inches here and there is what us tall boys need. I wish I could run a bigger steering wheel in my 32 coupe but with it chopped and channeled and my 6'4" body things dont always work out like you would like.

14. lorodz

lorodz

lookin reall good

15. houseofhotrods

houseofhotrods

Plate?? Whoa... what's the world comin' to. I don't check in for a week and everything shifts.... Just kiddin ya buddy. Nickel plate would be cool, always wanted to do that with a few trinkets on an oldie. :).

16. I understand and I'm sure you will make the right choice.

17. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

If you turn your coupe, into a coupester, that would give you more room. Or at least lengthen your body and put coupester doors on...? You know what I mean.

18. he should just take off the trunk lid and drive from back there...

19. I thought of that, too. I'm sure I can figure it out.

20. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Hope you manage to keep the bench.What seat base do you have?Maybe section it?
    As 'couverkid' said,a touch here and a touch there.
    Cheers,
    Mark

21. I already sectioned the seat riser...but can maybe go more. The more I think about it the more I wanna run that seat. And that wheel, too. Common as hell, but 40-47 pickup columns/wheels are flippin good lookin. So, I'll make something work, and as Steve said, just a little here and a little there is right!

22. antiqueautomike

antiqueautomike
    from Spokane

The build looks good. I not one to judge aesthetics... I have Lime green wheels, and flames painted on the hood of a Stock Model T. But the steering wheel looks too big for the compartment. Thought I would add my 2 cents. Mike

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looking good dude!! Those glasses on the decklid remind me of my dad. He always had a set of those thing lying around.

Bomber seats huh???? That probably would solve the problem like you said but damn a nice bench seat looks great! Either way it's going to be bitchen!

p.s. My beard says hello.

24. Thanks for the input Mike...wheel is a 17". Can't remember what a stock A is, but it's gotta be right up there. Choices, choices, choices...

I wish I had access to a 15" bell so I could see what it looks like. I was never really a fan of those, but I have to admit I've always wondered what one would look like in this car. 1946-1948 is the date at which I'm shootin for, so that would have been a very popular wheel at the time I think.

25. Those glasses are my favorites. They are comfy to wear and have the little side protector things too! I think I'm beyond the bomber seats. While it would have fit the build, I just like a nice stock bench. I'll make it work.

26. I don't understand why your already trying to fit in your car. As an Inland Emperor you should only try to fit into your car the night before you're leaving for the debut show after the build is nearly complete. If you must, hire shorter driver who can drive you around or maybe think about going in for a procedure to shorten your legs by a few inches. Remember the overall look of a SHOW CAR, even one build for 1948, is more important then you being comfortable and fitting in the car.

27. Billy, you always put things in perspective. I don't even know why it really matters honestly, all it has to do is run and drive on and off the car trailer ;)

28. j ripper

j ripper
    from napa ca.

hi chris, i saw that you said you sectioned the seat riser. how much? i took all the lift out of mine and it pretty much puts the seat bottom on the floor.. just a suggestion to maybe help with wheel clearance..

29. breeder

breeder
    Member Emeritus

you have some damn nice stuff chris!!!!! nice work bud!

30. lorodz

lorodz

hey chris ,man im waiting for the steering mod post ..when are you gonna start shortining the shaft and column or you already did that i wanna see how you modify one ....