Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A roadster is a roller *updated 12/10/09*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Nov 29, 2009.

1. brady1929

brady1929

nice, i am jealous

2. Little Terry

Little Terry

I really like this car. Great to see the progress.

3. Yeah, I'm mounting a temp and oil guage under the dash. I don't want to put them in the dash, will look too busy I think.

4. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Well put JJ!:)

Nick.

5. Low Fat 38

Low Fat 38
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from Norton,Ma

Chris, You got a sweet ride going. I'm still drooling over the Headlight Bar you scored. Nice Job!

6. Ok, so some good news came today. I was looking for a 32-34 driveshaft as per words of wisdome from guys on here to cut down. I could not find one anywere. Went to Antique Auto Ranch today(best junkyard in the world) and finally found a complete 33/34 rearend. It was tangled up in a 30 foot high pile of rear ends. It was also about halfway down the pile against a fence. Very hard to get too. Lucky for me the torque tube was already unbolted but still attached because the bearing and speedo drive on the driveline was rusted solid to the torque tube. I need to shorten the torque tube and weld in a 6 spline cupler anyway, so decided the easiest way to remove it would be to torch the bottom off the torque tube and then pop the pin and remove the whole thing. Got that done, but it was so rusty at the bottom that the driveline would not slip off the pinion. So, out came the torch again and I lopped the splined end of the driveline off. Remember, that part would have been cut off anyways in my build as it is a 10 spline piece and I need it to be 6. So, no harm and no foul.

Got the unit home and got it popped apart pretty easy.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

middle of tranny side splined shaft has some rust issues, but I think it will be OK.
    [​IMG]

Heres a view of the speedo gear that was on it (really crusty lookin one), the speedo gear I have for it and the 6 spline coupler that will make it's way onto the back of this shaft.
    [​IMG]

Also a shot of the car with a hoodside just for the hell of it
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Dec 10, 2009
  7. Shortened your story so it has only the good parts, and added a few words as well. And if anyone's is wondering, YES the rear end pile at the Ranch is THAT BIG. It's a good thing you didn't lose a limb climbing around on that large iron jungle gym. :D

8. Thanks Billy, my own personal editor!! I did almost fall once, I heard bones cracking in my head!

9. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

I am learning a lot from this thread. I am just starting to scratch the surface with banjo wisdom. I am swapping out the '35 rear in my coupe for a '39 rear. I wonder if I have unforeseen issues ahead??? I also thought about switching to an open drive line with a T5 but that's just a thought right now.

This would be all for saving the '35/36 rear and the '39 tranny for my '32 one day.

Oh and the hood sides are rad. Definitely nice to have some option to switch it up every once in a while. Make it look right out of the Birth of Hot Rodding!!!

10. Malcolm

Malcolm
    from Nebraska

Looking good, Chris!!

Malcolm

11. You should be fine, the 35/36 and the 37-40 rear end is the same length and width. Everything else will just fall into place ;) Just remember you gotta use the 39 driveline and not the 35/36 or you will run into the same 6 spline/10 spline bullshit.

12. Thanks dude! Get to crackin on your topless wonder :D

13. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Chris, that hood looks GREAT!

Nick.

14. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

15. kisam

kisam

Chris,
    I am so enjoying this build! Great work!

16. 41 Dave

41 Dave

Chris, Won't be to long and that Flatty will be spinnin' those rear tires ! Keep the updates a comin' !

41 Dave

17. Nobodys Hero

Nobodys Hero
    from New Jersey

Sooo rad..Love it

18. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Agree about the gauges,that dash looks perfect as is,nice ,clean and simple.It would be a shame to cut into it.
    As J.J. and Nick said,love the hood side.
    Keep up the good work!
    Mark

19. I don't know if I'll have a lot of time for any work this weekend, but I'll keep y'all updated when I do!

20. freebird101

freebird101

looks awesome keep it up

21. lorodz

lorodz

hood sides look kool ...

22. Thanks dude,
    I have only one side and the top...thats the way it was when I found it. Hood is really old and made to fit a 28/29 Ford on and A frame with a deuce grill. I need to make another side and I also need to shortent he radiator before that hood will fit. But that means re-coreing it and that always gets spendy so may not happen for a little while. At least I can drive it this way for a spell with no hood.

Heres why the grill/raditor need shortened.
    [​IMG]

23. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Looking Good Fella. I'd put a hood on just about anything which is the reason I like the way that looks so much. I actually love the dark maroon color (Navarro Roadster). I have dreamt that my '32 will eventually get a color like that or dark blue.....or black.

Are we still running Press And Pray brakes???

24. No dude, getting hydrallics. That was the big deciding factor for me on running the 32 K memeber vs. the F-1 crossmember. The F-1 is pretty much a bolt in for hydrallic brakes, so thats the route I went. Plus my Dad recently bought 32 frame for his roadster that the K member was cut up...so it went to him.

25. That is one weird looking A coupe in the background? I swear in a couple of other pictures it was chopped and the doors on it?:confused:

26. lorodz

lorodz

i see what ya saying....

27. OK so I didn't really get much done roadsterwise this weekend, but did end up picking these up for it. These are the remains of 1932 Ford engine stay rods. They will work perfect because they mount on a flat surface...just like an F-1 crossmember. They are torched off, but I can simply take some other year rods, cut to length and weld em up.

[​IMG]

28. Floorboardinit

Floorboardinit

Stay rods? Is that the same as a chatter rod? Johnny

29. MedicCustoms

MedicCustoms

This is lookin good keep us posted,Thanks for the pics

30. Yeah, whatever :D