Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A roadster is a roller *updated 12/10/09*

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Chris, Nov 29, 2009.

1. PRIMER STUDIO

PRIMER STUDIO
    from Bozeman,MT

Hey Chris, you might want to re think the 35-36 drive shaft and find a 33-34. Both the 35/6 and 33/4 are 10 spline, but the 34 is one consistent size and hollow...so you can swap the 10 spine end for a 6 spine, and the welding is at a factory joint and not in the middle. This will be safer and a hell of a alot easier to get working on the first try. The 34 will be able to handle higher rpms and tork without breaking because it wont be welded in the middle. Every tech article I've read says the 34 is the only way to go... Just some food for thought...

2. Cshabang

Cshabang

looks good man...but that wishbone mount doesnt look very safe...haha

3. hotrod-40

hotrod-40

That thing is really coming a long. What's with your neighbor on the roof in the last pic? haha.

4. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Pick one of the following;
    1/ The guys not well,he has 'shingles'.
    2/ He's heading home after a night on the 'tiles'.
    3/ He's singing that old Ricky Nelson song,'It's Slate'.
    Mark

5. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

6. I am going to make a mount that welds to the face of the crossmember. The cup and ball will bolt to that.

7. Hey thanks for that thought man! That makes sense to me now that you mention it. I'll try to locate a 33/32 driveshaft and use it. I think I know a guy who has one!

8. It's got it's own rubber "suspention"

9. GOSH! I never noticed that before. He was up hanging them damn Christmas lights

10. PoPo

PoPo

I love it still. Makes me want to go back to my idea of building a roadster the same way, with a stock frame and high off the ground, hmmmm.. your a bad influence on me.

11. 43gman

43gman
    from NC

Looks good, Chris. Excellent information on the spring hangers, TNX.

12. lorodz

lorodz

looking good man keep it up...

13. Ok, got some more done tonight. I decided to pop the body down on the frame to get the steering box set at the right angle, and start working on the pedals. I am very excited to see how everything works/fits together. The rear end looks to be a little wider then I desired, but after measuring (again) it is only 1/2" wider than a stock A rear end on each side. So I want to get my tires/wheels that will be on it mounted and see what it looks like then...the tires in the back now are pretty small.

I do love the dash and also glad to see the 32 column drop will (more then likley) work.

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

14. DO IT!!! Nothing beats a beater "A" ;)

15. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Great stuff,Chris.Raked screen is cool,nice work on the dash.
    Mark.

16. Thanks for the update, nice progress.

17. Thanks! Can't wait to get he dash face and see what it looks like with the gauges and such.
    Chris

18. continentaljohn

continentaljohn

Chris the A looks Great! Tell me more about them headers? did you make them ?

19. 60'shotrod

60'shotrod

Chris, Looking GREAT and check you out with that modern dash!:D;)

Nick.

20. JeffreyJames

JeffreyJames
    from SUGAR CITY

Tasty! The spring tech is useful as well as the "tech" on the torque tubes. All that stuff will comes into play when my 32 steps up to bat.

The pictures are fucking getting me pumped to see this thing at the Roundup! You are bringing it right? I would love to see you and Thunderbirdesque's roadster sitting side by side. Nice little comparison of mid-late 40's and mid 50's hot rods you know?

21. flatford39

flatford39

I'll second that for more info on the headers. They almost look cast.

22. Ok, so I got my tires/wheels on and now the rear end looks much better width wise. Also sits a lot better, too. I'll push it outside tommorow and get some better pics....no snow yet but it's like 10 degrees right now...seriously!!!

[​IMG]

About the headers, no I did not make em. I actually got these from a buddy. I have no idea what the hell he was thinking. He was either trying to get them in or out without taking the steering box out. The headers were not made for his car. So he did this shit to em. I need to whack a set up to make em fit, so all the molested part will be cut off anyways. May as well salvage these, right?

[​IMG]
    [​IMG]

23. lorodz

lorodz

holy shit the car looks great........those headers look like swiss cheese but hey ..im shure you ll do ya magic on them...

24. I'm thinkin a big negative on that. I mean, I truthful thought about it. What a great trip. I aint got no job, so why not bomb down there in this thing and eat some Texas BBQ?? Just pack s few T-shirts, sleeping bag and a tooth brush (and lots of tools).

oh wait, because thats in April and there will be all kinds of rain and snowy passes along the way. Not exactly roadster weather. Plus it's just a fuckin long ways away. Mapquest says 2011.94 miles, and 30+ hour drive in a MODERN car. Man, that plane ticket is sounding better all the time ;) Maybe I can fly in and get someone to pimp me around town in their car or something.

25. lorodz

lorodz

hey chris what is the steering box you are using ...

26. HotRodMicky

HotRodMicky

Hi Chris,
    call Reds-headers,they have AV8 headers for F-1 steering boxes.
    Michael

27. It's a F-1 steering box with a Model A flange on it, just like the Bishop/Tardel book shows. I'll get some better pics tommorrow.

[​IMG]

28. Flat Power

Flat Power
    from New Jersey

What tire sizes are you running?

29. Mark H

Mark H
    from Scotland

Who's the buddy you got the headers from,Chris,Freddy fuckin' Krugger!:D:DHe's a butcher!
    If you're going to save them(I would),maybe it's worth the effort to make a jig for them,for future projects?
    Cheers,
    Mark.

30. freebird101

freebird101