Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A roadster door dovetail?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Dirty Dug, Mar 28, 2012.

1. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

How are the door dovetails work on a late Model A roadster? I bought some from Mac's but don't see any way to install them. They come with a bent metal plate and a piece of rubber. What am I looking at? All the other rubber bumpers are installed on both door but with every bump in the road the doors rattle, wish I'd put '32 closed car dovetails in now.

2. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

No one? hum, thought someone would know.

3. swissmike

swissmike

I had the same issue trying to install the Macs dovetails in my Brookville roadster. At least one of the rubber pieces needs to be trimmed by probably 1/8" to fit in the dor pocket.( insert the first rubber, then the horseshoe metal piece and lastly the second rubber, which is trimmed). After that I marked the correct location on the jamb for the dove tail and screwed them in place. However they hardly engage and I doubt they do much.
    I did some research before I installed them and the consensus on Fordbarn is that I believe Snyders offers a more authentic kit with a bronze spring.
    Out of the entire rubber bumper kit I only used the round pics that fits in the hole in the lower front of the door. Everything else wouldn't fit if my life depended on it. I ended up tossing the rest and just using some pieces of foam weatherstripping in a few strategic locations.

4. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

Thanks for that. I'll have to check Snyder's. The stuff from Mac's didn't seem to work but all I got were the D shaped rubber pieces and the metal W shaped metal.