Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A -- Removable folding top/ tonneau-- Snaps/fastners

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by PurdueSD, Dec 10, 2014.

1. Hey fellas,

Looking for some input!

I am going to be running a folding top with snap in side curtains and also a matching tonneau cover on my 29 phaeton. Its a late 50s hot rod. From what I've researched you can either go with the newer style thumb snaps or " lift the dot fastners" like model As came with...

[​IMG] vs. [​IMG]

I think i prefer the look of the "lift the dot" fasteners when the top/tonneau isn't installed. I can't seem to find any pictures to compare the two. Are there any other concerns with usability i should be aware of...?

Anybody have some photos they would like to share?

Thanks in advance!

2. woodhawg

woodhawg
    1. S.F.C.C.

Hope you and I get some good info. I need a tonneau for my A Roadster. Watching with interest.

3. 56premiere

56premiere
    from oregon

The studs on the lift a dots are kind of annoying under your arm or any other parts that touch. The button type snaps don't hold as well under stress. But they make a button snap with a dot that can be oriented toward the stress, they work very well , but can be a pain to remove in a hurry. Look under Dot fasteners

4. Thanks 56premiere!

Anyone else?

5. dirty old man

dirty old man
    Member Emeritus

Since I have an "A" roadster, and hope to someday put a top on it, I'm subscribing to this thread.

6. wagoon78

wagoon78
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I was looking at the same type of fasteners. This website has it all. http://www.dotfasteners.com/index.html

Plan to figure out what I am going to do in the next few weeks. Going to use something for the base of my roadster top and for a removable roof in my sedan. On my list of winter projects.

7. TinShed

TinShed

I have these on my old FJ40 and they look way better than snaps and more period correct. The truck is a 1962 and they were on it when new.
    268-299-KIT-big.jpg 118-520-big.jpg

volvobrynk likes this.
  8. Nice! Does anyone have any pictures of either of these older styles installed - with/without top?

9. @PurdueSD Did you end up making a decision?

10. @Speedy Canuck
    The original plan was to have the top made in time to debut at the roundup. We had some unfortunate luck with some vintage speed parts not working out that cost us a week and ultimately the top was the item that we had to sacrifice.

The tub goes back to Midwest fab this fall to get some loose ends finished up and the top/ tonneau made. It was supposed to go back right after the round up but i just couldn't give it up so soon! :)

Ill try to remember to update the top fasteners here.

11. I'll keep an eye on Instagram as well. You have an awesome tub, excited to see how it finishes up with the tonneau.

PurdueSD likes this.
  12. Zandoz

Zandoz

When I do my T's tonneau, it will have one of TinShed's style fasteners on the front center corner of the passenger section, front outside corners, and behind each door. The rest will be simple button snaps. This configuration served me well on several MGs.