Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A rear wheel opening issue

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Robert Angell, Jun 11, 2018.

1. Pothole

Pothole

Would appreciate suggestions with my 31 Model A coupe project. My issue is with the rear wheel wells. I ordered inner fender panels to replace the rusted out current ones but my rot extends above the fender panels into the curved area of the wheel opening. No one makes (except for full quarter panels or tubs) panels that extend up. In searching for solutions I found a pic of a rod that might offer a solution but am unsure if I should try it. The pic looks to be of a model A that someone completely sealed the rear wheel openings. It looks clean and would solve the problem but I would sure appreciate comments and suggestions before I try anything. Thanks wheel well.jpg

2. alchemy

alchemy
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

It is a drastic modification, but it has precedent. I can't say the bodywork would be easy, because that is a very large panel. Might be easier to have somebody roll you a new beaded edge in some sheetmetal to return it to original shape. I guess it depends on your taste and talent.

3. Stan Back

Stan Back
    from California

It's certainly "traditional". Here's Scotty'sMuffler of San Bernardino in the late 40s. Scotty's 29 El Mirage.jpg

4. Pothole

Pothole

Thanks for the additional example, I looked at hundreds of TROG pics trying to find examples. I think I will do as Alchemy suggest and get a price of the rolled piece but I still like filling in the whole area and am very tempted to do it. Thanks gentlemen.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. tb33anda3rd

tb33anda3rd
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

show us a photo of what you have left. that upper piece can be made.

6. They should get shaved , filled and smoothed on something like this
    IMG_1201.JPG

7. Pothole

Pothole

Here is the opening causing the problem. I should have included this pic earlier. 100_3829.JPG

8. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies

I don't know if these will help... DSCN3056.JPG DSCN3055.JPG

9. Joe Lemay

Joe Lemay
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

10. Joe Lemay

Joe Lemay
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

11. jetdocmodelA

jetdocmodelA

My 28 coupe has some rot in the arch. Using a metal brake and shrinker I made these patch panels to fit and weld in. Then I’ll weld the stock style wheel well panel in that I purchased.

IMG_2281.JPG IMG_2282.JPG

Sent from my iPhone using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

tb33anda3rd likes this.
  12. Pothole

Pothole

Gentlemen, what great pics. I sure wish I had the talent and equipment to match. I think I have given up on the full enclosure idea and will try repairing the opening. Maybe I should have mentioned I am new at building hot rods and for this project I am following Vern Tardel's plan layout in his new book "Hot Rod your Model A". At almost 80 I have been bitten by TROG. Having very limited metal shaping capability I search the web and found they do make tubs that might be workable but one fellow mentioned using trailer fenders. I visited my local Tractor Supply and found something I might be able to weld up. Thanks for all your input, I have been studying the pics.
    100_3831.JPG
    Sorry, the insert is upside down in its placement 100_3832.JPG

13. 13clicks

13clicks

Not a fan of the wheel wells filled.

Sent from my iPhone using H.A.M.B.

low down A likes this.