Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A REAR SUSPENSION Options

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by lrs30, Sep 27, 2009.

1. VAPHEAD

VAPHEAD
    BANNED

99% of the chassis we do have ladder bars and transverse spring.
    Dustin's as a example..

Attached Files:

• 053.JPG
      053.JPG
      File size:
      46.1 KB
      Views:
    gimpyshotrods and 120mm like this.
  2. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Do you sell your ladder bar set-up in kit form? Sorry just saw your link to your site... Thank's Ryan

Last edited: Oct 4, 2009
  3. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

I guess I should have been clearer, Finding one the right width, with out the added expense of cutting one down, will be hard. And yes all the SCRAP hounds around here really have put a dent in finding good ones..

4. 5wcoupehunter

5wcoupehunter
    from FLORIDA

Mine is 42'' lader bars.

Attached Files:

5. Hot Rod Bob

Hot Rod Bob
    from T-ville Ky

Ryan I made my own crossmember an Z, ed the frame about 4 ins an used a 8 in Maverick rear end I may have some pics if I find them I'll post

6. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Bob if you find the pics I would love to see them, I am still trying to decide if I want to run a LAdder bar set-up, Four Link, or stay the traditional route with factory radius rods? What bones are some of you guys using.. I have heard of guys using Model A bones after welding the seam and adding a gusset to where it mounts to the rear.. I am leaning toward a ladder bar set-up but have not made any purchases yet..

7. I'm running a 46 truck banjo rear with a 40 ford transverse spring and split bones for the nostalgic look.

8. lrs30

lrs30
    from Kentucky

Thanks for the tip I will read it for sure... Ryan

9. trad27

trad27

10. Tom Serna

Tom Serna

Hi all
    I am starting on a build of a 37 shortly,
    I want to have it handle, and want to have coilovers all round and discs obviously.
    I would like to keep the stock front drilled axle if possible, but I want to do as much of the work myself , rather than buy kits.
    The setup will be small block chev, 3650 tremec 5 speed, 9 inch etc
    I want the car to really surprise on the autocross and hillclimb course rather than being a high geared auto cruising monster,
    Has anybody done anything similiar? I'm all ears.

Tom.

11. shortypu

shortypu

8''rearend, triangleated ladder bars, model a spring. IMG_1948.JPG

gimpyshotrods likes this.
  12. coilover

coilover
    from Texas

31 Coupe chassis (body in background) with Jag style IRS and IFS front. Not Hamb traditional but with coilovers on all 4 corners it rides and drives really good.

Mod A Frame 009.jpg

13. fortynut

fortynut

Something not mentioned about the '57-'59 Ford rear-end is there are two flavors available: Convertibles, Flip-Top Convertibles, and Station Wagons have the preferable 'big bearing rear axles'. For those who need an even narrower version, you can have the long side narrowed by a competent hot rod friendly machine shop to accept a 'short side' axle. To be honest, since I've never done this myself, but have seen completed versions, I'm not sure of the actual amount this narrows it, but my guess is in the plus or minus two inch range, certainly not dramatic. (I have used the Nine Inch Ford Rear End and already have one to go in the Forty Pickup I am building. So don't leave home without it.) However, back to the subject of A-Bones. For Hot-Rodder's, an inch is often as good as a mile. Keeping in mind that the drive shaft alignment issue, created by the off-set, depends on engine placement and that universal joints, by design, compensate for small angular irregularities. Finding a spare 'short side' replacement axle, just like the rear-end itself, is like all old Ford stuff and comes down to the fact that there are sources if you know how to beat the bushes, and can network. As to selecting a rear suspension --- in my personal opinion, the best design was done by Jim Jacobs when he was the 'welder' (read research and development) at Pete and Jake's Hot Rod Parts, Temple City. Subsequent copying of many of his designs by other parts vendors has made his triangulated ladder bar style (using either the original rear spring, or with coil over shocks) one of the mainstays of the aftermarket industry. And, it works with a variety of rear ends. That would be my choice to use if building one of these signature models --- either the '28-'29, or '30-'31. (I am commenting on this because I have an A-Model frame behind my shop and have thought about building a touring car, if and when I run across a cherry specimen and have the wherewithal to swing it. But, like many with other projects, I will have to live to be three hundred years old to get everything done.) Good Luck on your project, no matter what choice you make.

Last edited: Aug 12, 2020
    AHotRod likes this.