Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model 'a ' rear spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by rustyrods, Jan 29, 2011.

1. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Has anyone used a different type of leaf spring under the back of a stock model'a' ? I was looking at the use of a 1940 front with new shackel mounts, it would lower the car about 5 inchs . I can't see a problem unless a hamb guy has run into one.

2. need louvers ?

need louvers ?

For one thing, it will hit the top of the axle housing if i'm understanding what you are trying to do.

3. casper

casper

A model A rear end has the spring directly over the top of the axle, A 1932 or later banjo rear end has the spring mounted behind the axle housing. The 1940 spring will not work on the model A rear end because the "banjo" part will hit the crossmember. I hope that made sense!

4. dudley32

dudley32

T model spring will work..on banjo..about 4 inches..I've done it..check out Banger thread...d32

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. aldixie

aldixie

I used a Model T Spring on mine with a couple of leaves removed.

6. 510madmav

510madmav

if you were to use a 40 front like i think you said, you also need to consider the radius of the model a rear crossmember.

7. probably a stupid question, but why not just take a few leaves out of the stock A rear spring, not enough drop?

8. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

I think you are saying to use a 40 front spring in place of the Model A rear spring??????????
    First the shackle center to center distance on the Model A is 49.125" approximatley, and the 40 spring is like 36", so you would have to move each shackle in some 7-1/2" which I guess would work, but the spring is no where close to the rating as the rear Model A spring and I doubt it would clear the pumpkin.
    This doesn't make any since, why not reverse the eyes of the original spring which will give you 1", then take three/four leaves out depending on which spring you have and you will have a total of maybe three inches....................they Z the frame and for another 3" and you will have 6" total.......................or you can just Z the frame 5" or 6" and be done with it.
    The picture of my coupe has the stock rear spring with reversed eyes, 3 leaves taken out and the frame Z'd 3"....................brought the tire down to the wheel well lip.........about 5" from stock.

Attached Files:

9. rustyrods

rustyrods
    from Dixon,Il.

Thanks guys. Yes the shackle distance would be shorter, not a big deal. This car is a stock chassie speedster. I'v seen speedsway sells a lower arched spring for what I want to do but I have a 36 to 40 front spring which is new and the arch is the same as speedways and shorter by 8 1/2 inchs. My thought was to use it because its here but maybe I'm not as inventive as I would like to think I'm. I could z the frame 4 inchs as well but I thought the spring was the easy way out. Thanks

10. Rusty
    Guys have been doing this for a long time. Just use a 2x3 box tube for a cross member and run the spring behind the axel.
    You can also attain the same effect by reversing the eyes of the stock spring and shortening it about an inch per side and removing some of the bigger leafs.

11. Bert Kollar

Bert Kollar

Z the frame and buy my brand new Posies Model A super slide reversed eye rear spring. I'll give you a good deal. Sells new for $259