Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A rear spring

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by 67Imp.Wagon, May 15, 2006.

1. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

How many leaves are you guys running on the back of your coups? Was wondering how many to start with. I've heard a full spring is way too stiff.

Fill me in on your perfect setup.

2. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

If I remember right, my bone stock coupe has 10 leaves. Its not too stiff. In fact, it bounces like crazy. I hope that putting shocks on it will make it stiffer
    My spring does not have grease or plastic liners, just rust between the leaves

3. daddyo54

daddyo54
    Member Emeritus
    from Denison Tx

bttt I'm also curious to know.I'm using an A rear cross member and spring in a 32 frame and it's a tad to high.

4. I'm using 6 leaves in the T RPU
    Seems to ride fine not too stiff

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. 67Imp.Wagon

67Imp.Wagon

I'm not too interested in adjusting my ride height. Just want to make sure its not too stiff.

I have 8 leaves in my A spring.

In the Bishop/Tardel book they said a roadster has 7 and they took the top 3 out, and cut them down to 12 inches and put them on the bottom.With reversed eyes on the spring they wrote that they got about a 3 inch drop.

6. jetmek

jetmek

ive got 6 or 7 in my a rpu any less than that and i thinks you start having handeling problems from a too mushy rear spring. yes it will sit higher with more leaves but less wil have too much body roll

7. buick320a

buick320a
    from indiana

i RUN SIX LEAVES IN MY ROADSTER, SEEMS FINE. i MOVED THE REAR CROSS MEMBER AS HIGH IN THE FRAME AS I COULD, SETS RIGHT FOR ME ! BUT PUTS THE TOP OF CROSS MEMBER IN THE TRUNK FLOOR,NO BIG DEAL

8. I run 5 leaves in my 32 3W. Find the rides okn and I run teflon leaf liners b/w each leaf. I tuned the ride height with a spacer and it sits right where I want it now.

IMO, 4-6 leaves plus spacers (for tuning the ride height) is ok for a coupe as it tends to preload the spring a bit and enables it to work properly and ride decent.

9. Chapulin

Chapulin
    from Hell Monte

I have to full stack in my Tudor, and it crushes my spin every time I hit a pot hole. Trade of is that the handeling is better.

10. chrisntx

chrisntx
    from Texas .

I went out and counted---8 leaves in my 31 Coupe. I would like to lower the back, it may work to remove leaves IF you have good shocks