Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A Rear spring spreader

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gbgh, Aug 20, 2017.

1. gbgh

gbgh

I have access to a rear spring spreader that works great on conventional buggy springs but not so well on reversed eye units. Any tips on how to do this safely greatly appreciated! Standing by with the ever popular 2x4 and grease method.

Sent from my iPad using The H.A.M.B. mobile app

2. bct

bct

images.jpg

not my equipment or even my picture ,

catdad49, Texas Webb and Frank Carey like this.
  3. Ya, I've seen all that Trick stuff. Problem has been that the Diff center housing is often the next problem. For me I just take the spring apart, install the main leaf by itself (by hand) then with a piece of all thread put the spring pack back together. With 2 C clamps remove the all thread and replace the center bolt. Yes, it can still be a job depending on spring over or behind the Axle Housing but to date I've never had a spring get away from me.
    The Wizzard

catdad49, Moriarity, AVater and 2 others like this.
  4. gbgh

gbgh

5. gbgh

gbgh

But it works for Me!!
    Thanks!

bct likes this.
  6. Sweet & Low

Sweet & Low

Necessity if the mother of invention as the old saying goes. I thinks it's a very cool idea for reversed spring eye's. No reason it wouldn't work either way.

7. Bbhf

Bbhf
    from Ct

I agree with Pist-n-Broke: Whether taking them apart or putting back together, the c clamps and all thread rod works every time: Make sure your clamps are up for the job: Also make sure you use the right diameter threaded rod with two nuts and flat washers on each side to help take the load: Take your time: sk

AVater likes this.
  8. AVater

AVater
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    1. Connecticut HAMB'ers

Did what the Wizard and Bbhf said. Works fine.

9. I'll add this little piece of info for ya. Years ago I learned if I use a bearing from a Ford King pin set and a extra heavy washer (generally a plug cut from a 1/4" plate with a 1-1/4" hole saw) turning the nut on the all thread is a walk in the park. I double nut and jamb the short end of the all thread.
    The Wizzard

AVater likes this.