Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A rear spring hangers?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Richie R, Aug 9, 2015.

1. I am having issues in fitting a spring over setup in my Model A.
    I have a 9" diff setup with 56 1/2" flange to flange.
    As I have big 11" x 2 1/2 F100 rear brakes I have no way to get near 48" to 49 1/2" perch distance with any commercial hangers.
    If I base a custom spring hanger of this design ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439174680.726427.jpg
    But make the eyelet vertical will I actually have spring to housing interference issues?
    Do the shackles actually go back that far in angle in use? ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439175215.682044.jpg ImageUploadedByH.A.M.B.1439175443.209016.jpg
    Having reverse eyes, what would the ideal height be above the axle tube for the shackle eye?

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

I'm not sure what your talking about when you say you'd make the eyelet vertical?

Anyhow, all I can really offer is that you need to keep on mine your pinion angle when welding those brackets on and that the shackles need to be at 45 degrees ( pointing down to the spring eye) to have it work correctly. This is with it in the car with tension on the spring. If you measure it all out with the spring not at correct tension you won't have anything correct.

And you don't need 4 inches of room under the spring eye, but you need room. Imagine the arch of that 1 1/2 inch shackle you've got if you disconnected the spring and let the shackle swing and you'll have a good idea of what's needed

3. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Also if they are all weld on units I don't get how a commercially available part won't work for your set up?

4. Tim, if I weld these Speedway perches right on top of the weld at the housing end, I estimated the eye to eye will be only 46",,,too close.
    I thought of placing the eyelet directly on top of the mount in custom made brackets.
    These brackets the eyelets are 1 1/2 towards the centre

Last edited: Aug 10, 2015

5. cretin

cretin

So, you mean making brackets that are basically just a flat plate instead of having the bend that the ones in the first photo do?

6. Cretin, yes basically that, maybe just move the eyelet slightly towards the centre, will that work?
    I know old Henry allowed more swing angle clearance but is that required really?

7. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Oooooh haha, yeah you can do that. There might be some added strength in the weld being on the side and not the bottom but I wouldn't be the guy to ask. Maybe gusset or sorta fish plate the area?

This might be something. Easier explained person to person but maybe @bobbleed or @Tuck could give a quick run down of how they would navigate what your facing.

A shorter spring seems the easy route but if you've got parts in hand it kinda changes things

8. Hi Tim, yes already purchased a reverse eye main, if I had my time over again I would have ordered it 3" shorter then cut the upper springs to match.

9. 47" center to center will allow you to run a narrowed Posies spring and have the correct shackle angles once its installed. The spring is advertised in their catalog

10. also if you take the bend out of the perches, getting the brake lines on will be difficult at best, impossible at worst. I have those perches and the narrow reverse eye posies spring set up... the picture is cut off, damn.[​IMG]

11. Pete1

Pete1
    from Wa.

Don't forget to have the axle housing straightened after all the welding is done.
    The carrier and wheel bearings may not last too long otherwise.

12. Can you let me know what 9" diff that is, looks like a early Mustang?
    Are you running 10" car or 11" F100 brakes?
    Do you have a photo of just one side of the diff?