Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A rear Fender opinions requested

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by gsp392, Feb 7, 2011.

?
  1. 15x8

12 vote(s)
    92.3%
  2. 15x10

1 vote(s)
    7.7%
  1. gsp392

gsp392

What I have is a '31 Ford 5 window coupe, not chopped and I have a pair of 15x10's on the back. I want just enough fender to keep from slinging rocks and anything else all over the top of the car.
    How would a 10 inch wide fender look in your opinion? Should I get 15x8's instead? They are vintage 5 spokes and for fronts I've got some vintage magneseum 5 spoke 14x6's. They resemble American Racing Torque Thrust.

Also any pictures would be helpful too.

Thanks

2. So the question becomes do you have enough engine to warrent the huge steam roller tires?

I don't care for the look of the wideded fenders myself. But I suppose they do serve a purpose if your wheels and tires are that wide.

3. wingedexpress

wingedexpress

I have 15x8.5 and 255-70-15 and don't have much extra space.1 1/4"-1 1/2 " on the inside and rubs the fender on the outside when i gouge the throttle hard. The factory fenders cover about 11".A homemade flat trailer type fender would not look to good in my opinion

4. Show a picture of the car as it is now so we have a reference

5. smitty smitty smitty. :D

Sorry don I just couldn't resist. :eek:

6. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

Im running 15's x 8's with P235 75 r 15's..just the buldge of the tire is out past the lip of the fender..any more than that you risk the "dune buggy factor"..(dont show tread please)

alot has to do with set back, the correct wheel, and the width of axle you chose

Hotrod don and wingedexpress look like they got it right ..even with different combinations its do-able..just Mock it up and measure , measure, measure
    there is no subsitute for a good mock up and a good tape measure

Last edited: Feb 7, 2011
  7. gsp392

gsp392

The only picture of the car is the one I use as my av. The engine I'll be running is a 392 with 2x4's on a crossram, a dana 4 speed tranny and approx. 355 gears. This is very far away from being done, but I like to know where I'm headed. Also, I plan to run a barely streetable cam and headers.

8. Unless you are putting the fenders right down on the tires you can probably get by very well with an 8" rim and a tire with a 9" section width. You should be in the neighborhood of 8" of tread width and what you'll actually have sticking out is the bulge.

I'm not sure that is the look you're after but that would serve you real well.

9. AJofHollywood

AJofHollywood

I have chosen neither.

10. gsp392

gsp392

Thanks, I'm going for the look of early 60's since that's when my dad first built it. Another thing I'm after is getting a good launch with limited spinning and keep it as esthetically pleasing as possible.

11. gsp392

gsp392

I appriciate all the input. I was leaning toward 15x8's, but since I've already got 15x10's on it now for rollers, I thought I'd see what everyone thought. I'll get some 15x8's with an offset to the inside so I can possibly blend the fenders in with the body.

12. Widened rear fenders should be avoided! It really messes up the lines of a Model A, particularly from the rear or a 3/4 view. Try hard to keep the tread under the stock feeder lip or inside a bit. the bulge of a rear tire sticking out beyond the fender lip is OK or even desired, IMHO.