Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A radiators and the Model B radiator

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by lahti35, Jan 8, 2017.

1. lahti35

lahti35

So I;ve been scrounging the net trying to find out the differences between the 28-31 Model a radiators in terms of dimensions and cooling capacity. Having no luck I though I would try here... I know they changed cap styles and inlet/outlet styles.

My specific question would be is the 30-31 larger than the 28-29 and is the Model B radiator even larger in terms of core size/number of cooling tubes and fins?

2. dwollam

dwollam

'30-'31 is larger than '28-'29 and I can only assume '32 is larger yet but I don't have a '32.

3. My guess is the core size for the '30-'31 is about the same as a '32 based on observation. You might call around and see if the use the same radiator core or call someone like Breastworks for the capacity of the two. The '32 has a larger tank that extends out into the shell (be careful, you can't use a Model A shell with a '32 radiator). Note that the filler neck is also in a different location (fore and aft). The hood hinge bracket is different. The radiator on my Avatar is a Walker with a filled top. An original cap is held on with a strap and a bolt. What are you planning?

Charlie Stephens

4. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I agree,
    doesn't sound right, but a '29 is wider and shorter than a '30 -'31 ... the 30 -'31 is very close to the size of the '32... the '32's top tank peaks forward in the center so you can't use a '30 shell on a '32 radiator... but the reverse, yes...

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. ...but you need to relocate (or remove) the filler neck and change the mount for the hood hinge.

Charlie Stephens

6. sloppy jalopies

sloppy jalopies
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

7. lahti35

lahti35

Need maximum cooling for a prewar straight 8 with outlet/inlet in the right spot... Not concerned with using a ford radiator shell, i'll be using something modified to fit.