Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Radiator,

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Aug 13, 2011.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Has anyone ever tried using an OEM copper radiator from a 4 cyl to cool an 8 cyl flathead ? Could it possibly work ? 1930 Model a coupe.

2. jailhousebob

jailhousebob
    from Illinois

Hi Bob, the problem is the way the lower tank tapers on a stock A radiator. There is no room for the 2nd outlet that you need for a flathead.All sorts of modifications are possible but in the end you may have as much into it as if you purchased a v/8 rad. to begin with. Bob

3. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Bob,
    I understand what you mean about no room for a second outlet on the bottom. I wonder if the bottom tank can be altered to install a second outlet. I also wonder what would happen if creative plumbing were used. Maybe a "Y" pipe to feed both sides of the engine from the single bottom outlet. Maybe the same for the top. I just don't know if the water flow would be sufficient to cool both sides of the engine. Even if this unusual plumbing system were to be installed, and good flow were to be delivered, I don't know if the OEM 4 cyl. radiator could cool an 8 cyl. Flathead. I'm sure someone, somewhere tried this, I would love to know the results. I'm not prepared to spend $700.00 for an aftermarket radiator, which would probably work well, until I exhaust my options. After all, isn't Hot Rod stuff all about being creative, anyone can walk around with a checkbook and buy things.

Bob

4. Aman

Aman
    from Texas

Is there anyway to make the fh radiator work?

5. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

That's what I am asking. Can the OEM 4 cyl radiator be altered to handle an 8 cyl Flathead. A second inlet & outlet would have to be added, or creative plumbing used. But would the end result cool an 8 cyl. ?

6. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I have one that was adapted and am using it. The changes were done before I got the radiator. The core leaked so I had it recored with the largest that would fit. Works fine, not sure if I would do it again.

Neal

7. GOONZ

GOONZ

I am also running an A radiator with a flathead. Any good radiator shop can put the second outlet in the bottom tank. I had mine recored at the same time and if I were to do it again I would spend the extra money and run a walker.

8. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

Sounds like nobody is happy with the OEM, even with a recore.
    I see there is a company called "Superior Radiator" out there. They have a dual inlet & outlet for the 8 Cyl that fits the Model A shell. Anyone ever deal with them ? Any good ?

9. J'st Wandering

J'st Wandering

I question the strength of the tanks when running a little pressure in the radiator. My tanks have been well pressurized in the past (expanded) and figure that they may fail at some point in the future.

Neal

10. unclerichard

unclerichard
    from Michigan

I have one. Good looking radiator but I have not yet run it. Price was great.

11. Deadweight

Deadweight