Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Radiator

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Crankhole, Nov 15, 2007.

1. Crankhole

Crankhole

Can a Model A radiator be used with a 302 SBF?

2. HEATHEN

HEATHEN
    from SIDNEY, NY

If the radiator is in good condition, I don't see why not. Small block Fords don't put much of a demand on a cooling system.

3. i would suggest getting a 64-67 mustang rad. they are like 100 bucks brand new for a 3 row...

I run run one in my T with a 350 and it runs pretty well.

i wouldn't bother fucking iwth an 80yo radiator and a late model v8.

4. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

could you keep the top and bottom tanks off a model a radiator and have a new style core installed

5. Ace Brown

Ace Brown
    from OH

i tried using one for my nailhead (obviously not a 302) and it sucked. They are un-pressurized and tend to boil over very easily. i even blew my radiator cap off once because of that :D . brand new...never did find it!

I know it's a bit more money than the mustang radiator, but a walker or the like is a dream and looks "stock". But, i have heard good things about the mustang.
    -ace

6. Oldschoolhotrods

Oldschoolhotrods
    from san diego

if the radiator is in good shape it will work, don't put a pressurized cap on it, you'll destroy it.

they can also be re-cored

7. Rodwerkz is right. Easy to come by. Fit under the shell. Can get them up to 4 rows without going to a custom unit.

8. Lucky77

Lucky77

I've got a Mustang rad. from Auto Zone, I think it cost about $130 and fit right behind my 30 grille shell with minimal persuasion.

9. KutThrtKustms

KutThrtKustms
    BANNED
    from SO.CAL.

This is my 27' rpu that COOTER is asking about. I have a very nice restored 28' radiator and shell that I want to use for my sbf 302. after reading the responses it seems that I can run it with out changing anything, like puting on a pressurized cap. I was just going to use a stock cap. Is this right? For those that said they switched out to a mustang radiator, my next thought, how did you mount your grill shell to the new radiator. Pics would help alot thanks for all your help.

10. 39cent

39cent
    from socal

my first rod [in 57] was a 31 2dr I stuffed a 56 sbc in, and without much bucks [I cudnt afford a radiater], so I jus made my stock one work. never had a bit of overheating.

11. harmony-h62

harmony-h62

How good does a mustang radiator fit in a 32 shell? How tall is a mustang radiator? I want to drop my grill down in front of the cross member about 3-4 inches.

12. The mustang rad is what you need. You can drop your shell down exactly like that with no mods. They (mustang radiators) work good, but look bad from the back.

13. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Any stock early Ford radiator will cool almost any later V8 if the engine is not too radical and the radiator is in good shape. BUT, the tanks on the early radiators are not designed for any pressure, or 3lbs., which could, but not always will, cause some problems with heat.
    That said, the Mustang 3-row radiator IS a good economical option which works very well, is pressurized and can do a good job. BUT, although it does fit in and behind a T, A, or 32 radiator shell it does, in my mind, need a little help in the front appearance department.
    In the T and A shell, and the 32, the top tank seam is visible and the side straps show which would require a small flange of steel, aluminum or fiberglass to cover the offending areas. Painted black to match the radiator it would hide the offenses and as a side benefit ensure all air entering the radiator shell is directed through the core rather than taking the path of least resistance around it thus actually increasing cooling efficiency!
    A good electric fan mounted on the back as a puller or a stock style mechanical fan with an appropriate shroud will finish off your cooling system nicely.

14. Don Spear

Don Spear
    from ma.

I run a 31 in my 40 with a 302

15. dv8

dv8

I run mustang radiators in all my hot rods...Here are a few pics...

In a 32 shell....not obvious behind the insert....

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

The round things are the shroud mounts...

[​IMG]

It's really only visible at certain angles....

[​IMG]

The back...

[​IMG]

A Model A shell...This truck has a 4 inch channel, and the shell is dropped a little as well....

[​IMG]

I have these radiators cooling a Hemi, and a flathead, and plan on putting one in front of a Stude V8 as well....

16. dv8

dv8

As far as mounting....."L" brackets from the hardware store are your freinds!

17. magoins

magoins

What year Mustang rad. are you using?

18. dv8

dv8

I just ask for a 65 V8/auto radiator. I don't know what years cross over. It's always a heavy-duty, 3-core, and it's $130 or less from the local chain parts stores.