Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A questions

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by David Chandler, May 18, 2008.

1. David Chandler

David Chandler

I have a couple of questions on 1930 model A's. How thick was the original wooden body to frame blocks? Also how much clearnace is there between the bottom edge of the grille shell, and the front crossmember? I'm building something from nothing and don't have much to go on. Thanks!

2. David Chandler

David Chandler

3. 5window

5window

I've got a '31 A coupe but it has been altered so much I don't think I can help. I'd suggest looking at Ahooga or the MAFCA websites and asking some of the Model A restorer guys over there. Just don't tell them you're building a street rod.

4. David Chandler

David Chandler

That sounds like a good idea. Thanks. I know a guy who has a stock 28 or 29 coupe, but I don't know if it would be different. I know that some of them had wooden subrails, and mine are steel.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. Dirty Dug

Dirty Dug

They all had metal subrails, '28 thru '31, and all had an assortment of wooden blocks. If you're not a restorer you probably won't need the wooded blocks. But if you have a wood stove in your shop like I do then go ahead and order them, like I did.

6. A Chopped Coupe

A Chopped Coupe

The wooden blocks are not the same size, some are different depending on which part of the body they go under, like the cowl, or.............
    Like someone suggested, go over to the FordBarn and ask the Model A guys I'm sure they will help you.............................as long as you don't mention you are a Hot Rodder.
    If you have specific ones you need dimenstions on I will be taking my body of the frame one last time and could give you dimensions....................just PM with.

7. David Chandler

David Chandler

I really don't want to go with wood anyways. I'm more interested in how much clearnace there is between the subframe and frame, so when I make something up the hood dosen't end up going up hill, or down hill etc. I have a grille shell but no raidator at the moment, and with the subrails sitting on the frame, I can see that the shell is a bit too low.