Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Quarter Panel Repair Question

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by METAL MELTDOWN, Feb 13, 2011.

1. I have a 29 Model A Roadster that my son and I will be starting on in a couple of months. The quarter panel where it transitions into the wheel well is rotten. I have the patch panels for the inner wheel well but am unsure about repairing the quarter panel lip. I was thinking about possibly enlarging the wheel opening slightly to allow the body to drop over the tire more. Either that or taking a fender lip or quarter panel bead from another car to weld in to smooth out the transition like on the the 30-31 quarter panel. This repair doesn't have to be original but I do want it to be all steel. Anyone done any repairs like this or have any suggestions?

2. pimpin paint

pimpin paint
    from so cal

Hey,

I don't know what level of skill or equipment you have, but there are several ways you could go with this repair. You could try locatig a replacement quarter section, or addapt one from a sedan quarter or build the missing area from some steel sheet and use a hammerform to shape the part. If the area that is missing is a small one, you could well shape the part with just a hammer and dolly, tack and weld it in. Without a picture of the area in question, I'd jus be guessing as to how to procede.

" Life ain't no Disney movie "

3. HomemadeHardtop57

HomemadeHardtop57

post a pic so we can see where the problem is exactly and how bad it is. Is the rot on both sides or just one?

4. The rot is both sides, rusted through the area of the wheel tub where it attaches to the quarter panel. It's been fixed poorly some time in it's past. I'll post pics tomorrow.