Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

How . . . . Was . . . . The . . . . . Weekend . . . . ese ??????

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Well, it ran. Did you watch the video? It was sounding good during the cam break in, until it overheated. Which sucked. Only ran for 10 minutes until we shut it down. As soon as it started to blow out the overflow we shut it down so we didn't cook it. The fan sits real low and I think it's only pulling through half the radiator. It either needs a fan shroud, like the kind that was used on F series trucks. Either that or an electric fan which I really didn't want to do. I used a 170 thermostat. It was new but I'm going to pull it out and boil it to see when it opens. Should have done it before I installed it. I still think the fan is not enough but we'll see. But, it did run.

3. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

It didn't overheat, it was making room, water expands. I had the the same setup with open headers & an OG 29 radiator with no thermostat & it ran cool all day, everyday. It worked for me, a radiator shop with a inferred gun confirmed it at 170 degrees.

4. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

I didn't have a temp gauge on it. I know, I should have. We filled it as full of water as we could. It started blowing steam (no water) out the overflow tube. It blew steam for a good 5 minutes after we shut it down. Never any water. I'll get a temp gauge on it and give it another go.

Another thing that puzzles me is the radiator cap. The only thing it says on it is 1.1, It's one of those small ones. I figured it was the diameter of the neck/cap. Couldn't be the pound rating.

5. gordspeed

gordspeed
    from Oregon

Sounds pretty good for a first time! That Chevy with three two's looks great! :)

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

pulled the thermostat, poured water down its throat, topped off the radiator. Hell Yeah!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Finally.

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/5h3lAVkNBqs?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/ReZljBQ7wpA?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="640" height="360" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/RDfe8PF8nUk?feature=player_detailpage" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

1954vicky likes this.
  8. KustomCars

KustomCars
    from Minnesota

This is my favorite build.. Keep it up!

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man. It was a good night that's for sure.

10. McFly

McFly

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man, goin for that first ride was something I really needed.

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Hey man, turns out it didnt have enough water. After we changed things around and filled the block and radiator it was fine. Broke the cam in, tuned on it a little and drive it around the yard for 20 minutes. Wooooooooooooo

13. Sweet ass!
    Major milestone in any project.
    Now the fire has been re ignited.

14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man, it's been a long time comin. The fire was never out but it was flickerin that's for sure. Seemed like it would never come. I was done tuning on it and told my brother to shut it down. He said, "no we're drivin the fucker around the yard man". It was so cool.

15. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man. The first ride is always the coolest.

16. That's a big accomplishment to turn that key and drive. The rest is a piece of cake. I'm getting close myself.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

17. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Yeah you just have to keep after it. I've got some health problems that really beat me down a lot of days. I would go work on it, even when I didn't really feel like it. My brother told me even a half hours work is progress. He was right but I couldn't have gotten this far without his help. It was a good day, I haven't smiled like that, for that long in quite a while.

18. I completely understand. Time is of the essence. Wether you put in 10 hours or ten minutes, its time spent towards the project. I put in about
    12 hours a day/6 days a week with work, but I still manage to spend sometime on the truck each night.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

19. MATACONCEPTS

MATACONCEPTS
    BANNED

FUCK YEAH!!!!!! dUDE i'M happy for you. GEt healthy, Man. You don't smoke cigarettes nor drink drink Soda, do you? At 40 my psoriasis has kick in hard these last few months & now I got to stop drinking the Booze they tell me. GEt healthy, Man. We got some Hot Rodding to do.

20. .

Cool, cool, cool!!!

Glad to hear it run and can't wait to see it on the road.

Congrats on getting some payback on all your hard work.

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks man, it was so friggin cool. Needs some more tuning but it sounds pretty good.

22. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Fuck yea, Scotty!! Sounds awesome!!! Congrats man, I know it's been a long time comin'!!

23. 117harv

117harv

Getting close to the first drive on one of my long term projects too. Congrats, thanks for the videos, looking good.

24. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks Andy. Still needs some tweaking yet. Fiddled with the carbs for a minute is all. Was so excited that it was running we forgot to put a timing light on it. It's running a bit fast, timing is a bit advanced. Might screw with it today.

Did you post any bonneville pics?

25. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks Harv. I got the 4" wheels on the front from you so you were kinda there in spirit, lol. Good luck on the first ride to ya.

26. hotrodderhaag

hotrodderhaag

that truck does sound good! love the look of the motor too. nice and plain, jsut how it should be, nice work! the videos are great.. you will remember that first drive in the yard forever!

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks I sure will. I'm gonna do it again today after I find my timing light, lol

28. flatheadz-forever

flatheadz-forever
    from new jersey

that's great good work keep it up man hope you are feeling better

29. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

After some tuning.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3VketnQv9oU" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>