Register now to get rid of these ads!

Projects Model A pickup, my first build thread

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by F-6Garagerat, Sep 11, 2010.

1. wow!! i sure could use some model A coupe dimensions if ya want to post em, i'ld be gratefull.......i have 2 right side doors and they are different sizes,,,need to find out what to keep and what to sell.....

2. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

hey man long time no see. you goin to monroe show this weekend? sedan/truck doors are 28 1/2" front to rear. i need a pair but would take one.

3. burnin53

burnin53
    from cuba,n.y.

Something like these?
    28-29-Coupe-small.jpg
    30-31-Coupe-small.jpg

4. hotrodladycrusr

hotrodladycrusr

Great score bud!
    We'll touch base and discuss the timetable of my tool box island when I get back from SoCal. Hi to Ed and Chels from me.:cool:

5. have to be in cincy friday for buisness with my other house...but am thinking about rolling right back up to michigan....what is going on this weekend?????

6. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

they say hi back. we'll be at the shop a lot so just say when.

7. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

i needed cab corner patches. mac's and brattons have em on backorder for the last 6 months. i didnt want to go through howells from all ive read here. found them at Berts Model A Parts out of Denver Colorado. they have 8 more pairs on the shelf. i have thier number if anyone needs it.

8. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

got the cab stripped of all the garbage this last week. it has a few issues but nothing to awuful bad. ordered all the patch panels i need. cab is out at the blasters. cant wait to pick it up next week.

9. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Got the cab back from the blaster, it's better than I expected. All of my sheet metal patches have been delivered, my frame is ready to be Z'd and welded. I got a pair of Sedan doors for FREE! Got an F-1 box and a pair of split bones, the guy is 68, split the bones when he was 16. Scored an open drive Banjo (and an extra diff and axles), 4 front and 4 rear 40 drums, 4 sets of brake shoes, a front axle (dropped I think), and another set of Model A front and rear crossmembers this week too, the guy lived 2 streets over from me, 4 addresses over from mine! I've stumbled into a bunch of stuff I need for this thing in just the last couple weeks since I got the body. I'm not really one for naming a ride but, I think I'm gonna have to call this truck "Lucky".

Attached Files:

ct1932ford and kidcampbell71 like this.
  10. it sure looks lucky. this is going to be a great truck again.

11. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks, It's been fun already.

12. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

update time. Just in mock up. Frame will be a roller in a few weeks. Here's a few pics. I'm thinkin channeled.

Attached Files:

13. 416Ford

416Ford

Engine looks like it is sitting really low? Once you Z the frame you may want to raise it up a bit to save the pan.
    Or I could be WAY off base and I have been know to do that a lot.

14. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Well, after some medical problems, which started at Autorama last Saturday, I managed to get out to the shop and get some small stuff done. Thanks to my brother Keith and Big Ed, they did all the heavy lifting. Here are some update pics. It's not much but progress is progress. The front axle (Model A) was dropped 3" by the HAMB's own "296V8". The wheels and tires were just thrown on for kicks. They are 16" wires with 600 Goodyears. It will be running 500/525x16's on 16x4" 40 ford wheels.

P.S: No my brother's flattie isn't going to stay that color,lol. It was painted that color when he got it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Mar 6, 2011
  15. captainjunk#2

captainjunk#2

nice work so far , and a nice shop to work in , cant wait for a few more updates

16. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Thanks, shop is in my brothers backyard. We built it just to build cars in. We are spoiled for sure.

17. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

i was thinkin that too. i made tardel style mounts and have a hurst front mount. anyone else think it looks too low?

18. 29ToyA

29ToyA

Cool project!

19. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks. it's finally starting to move forward.

20. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

Well, progress has been kind of slow. I've been working 7 days 10 hour shifts since, well, I can't really remember when. January I think. My life is like the movie "Ground Hogs Day". This is April right? The extra funds have allowed me to score lots of cool parts just not much time to do anything with them. But I have made some progress in the last 2 weeks thanks in part to my brothe and Ed. The 265 SBC is at the machine shop, my 31 box showed up yesterday, scored some 16x5 wheels for the rear/16x4's on the front and mounted the 500/525 and 750 Firestones. It's getting there. Should be a roller in a few weeks. Here are some new pic's. I had planned on channeling it over the frame but with the box on now I kinda like it this way.

Attached Files:

21. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

it's a roller!

[​IMG]

kidcampbell71 likes this.
  22. Your truck is badass! I was tossing around the idea of my '34 cab on an a frame set-up much like yours with an a bed and I think you just made up my mind. I'll surely be watching this build closely and cant wait for more updates.

23. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thans. now that it's a roller i'm really liking it. like i said, at first the height was bothering me. everything is built so low now it seems. don't get me wrong, i like channeled cars a lot. i had planned to channel this one. the more i look at it this way, the more i like it. reminds me of the Miller Mufflers shop truck.

24. I don't think it needs to be channeled, if you don't like the look of the frame rails under the cab it may look good with the splash aprons. It's a pretty neat look if you were looking into more options.

Attached Files:

25. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thats funny. my buddy has a pair he keeps trying to give me. i like trucks i've seen with fenders on the box only. thanks for the pic of a car with them installed.

26. shortypu

shortypu

Man this thing is starting to look pretty cool,I think it looks pretty good unchanneled.

27. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks. it's grown on me. it's going to stay un channeled. i'm after the look of a mid to late 50's built hot rod. i like the height of the box where it is so i need to cover the frame somehow from the rear wheel/tire forward. i stretched and z'd the frame so i could use a spring behind banjo. i want to be able to use the box if i need to so i dont want the rear crossmember sticking up through the floor of the box any more than it does already.

28. johnny bondo

johnny bondo
    from illinois

nice man! keep it a highboy!!!!!!

29. F-6Garagerat

F-6Garagerat

thanks. i'm thinkin 32 washington blue (i think thats what the color is called) 40 ford standard hub caps. i have a 1955 265 chevy for power so i figure the plain V8 caps will be cool. i've got some 57 vette rams horns so a full exhaust to keep a clean look. i've got a vision in my head.

30. thunderbirdesq

thunderbirdesq

Dang, I missed this thread somehow. Looks effin' KILLER brother! Keep up the good work!