Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A perch Bolt should drop in or press in?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by TBone69, Oct 19, 2014.

1. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Hey Folks,

Got some time in the garage today and working on reassembling the front axle and wishbone. I have two used perch bolts that are in good shape or seem to be but one drops right in to the axle the other seems like it needs to be press fit.

Drop in Perch Bolt diameter measures out at .667 and the one that needs some coaxing to get in measures in at .682.

This is my first time reassembling an A front end which one is correct?

I have a feeling its the one that needs pressing in which means I will need another perch bolt.

Thanks
    TBone

2. Went and measured mine,new speedway = .682.May need to lightly hone/clean the tight side.

3. Kiwi Tinbender

Kiwi Tinbender

Perch Bolts should have a little resistance, but you should be able to grease or oil them and shove them in with your hands. No drop in or rattly perches, and no big effort press fit ones either...

4. I lubed mine with anti-seize and they went in by hand. Snug fit, but no press needed.

5. I like them with a tight fit.
    Little rap with rubber mallet and I'm happy. Sounds like you need another for the sloppy side, at least that's what I'd do. The last thing you want is slop in that hole/bolt connection.

6. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Forgot to mention they fit the same when I swap sides. So it sounds like I'll need another perch bolt.

Thanks

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

7. All I've ever done to a perch pin that was tight to make it fit is clean it up with a little scotch brite.

I'd be more worried about the loose side. You don't want any slop in that.

Posted using the Full Custom H.A.M.B. App!

8. TBone69

TBone69
    from NJ

Definitely more concerned about the loose side. Original axle had loose perch bolts and egged out the holes so I have seen what happens when too loose. Going to look for a replacement and toss the loose pin in the scrap pile.