Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A Peep Mirrors

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Bob 1743, Aug 25, 2012.

1. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

I'm having a hard time deciding which way to go on peep mirrors for a 1930 Model A. Clamp on door type.
    I kinda like the short curved style, they hug the body, convex of course.
    The longer straight arm may give better visibility, but may not look as good, once again convex.

Any thoughts ??

Bob

2. Mr48chev

Mr48chev
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I've never had much luck with clamp on mirrors as they always seemed to come loose on me. On your question, being able to see what's behind you might trump the cool factor of the tucked in mirrors.

3. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

In the pet peeve department... sit in some cars that have peeps and see how effective they really are before you start drilling any holes. You just might look for something else. Gary

4. Bob 1743

Bob 1743

What else would I look for ?

Any suggestions ?

Bob+

5. Thirtycoup

Thirtycoup

I've had my curved peep mirror on the driver's door for 12 years now and have had to re-tighten the screws maybe 2 times.....and I can see what I need to see out of it.
    Mike

6. hotrodpodo

hotrodpodo

I prefer the type that mounts to the door hinge myself. They're a bit bigger and offer much better visibility. My 2 cents anyway.

Last edited: Aug 25, 2012
  7. on my `28 tudor i mounted just the 3" mirror from a peep mirror with a stainless bracket i made , it bolts to the visor screws. as already suggested , i spent a little time with the placement so i can actually use it

[​IMG]

8. Von Rigg Fink

Von Rigg Fink
    from Garage

I had a nice clamp on peep mirror, but I dont care for the clamp..so I took it off and drilled a hole and mounted it without the clamp

[​IMG]

9. Don's Hot Rods

Don's Hot Rods
    from florida

I modified two peep mirrors to bolt directly to the windshield in my 27 roadster and they aren't worth a damn. Gary is right about that. I hate changing lanes and I can't even see the car that is directly behind me in traffic.

[​IMG]

My Son found some from Vintiques for his rpu and they are actually useful. They are 4 inches instead of the 3 inches mine are, and he also mounted a rear view mirror on the middle of the windshield and that gives him a total view of what is behind him.

At some point I am going to mount the same mirror setup on my 27 because it is just too dangerous not being able to see cars coming up on you or in your blind spot.

Don

10. Aviator

Aviator

Anybody use the "fatties" by Hagan? Claims to offer great visibility but expensive and non-traditional look.

11. gnichols

gnichols
    from Tampa, FL

Bob,

I've had two rods with swan neck mirrors (basically peeps on a graceful stem) and I always end up with el-cheapo stick-on convex mirrors from PEP Boys stuck on them to get a wider view. Otherwise, for me anyway, out of the box they are like looking thru telephoto lens or magnifying glass, you only get a center view of what's outside your car. The are also small in diameter and most often mounted too far ahead on the door to be effective.
    If you can find some peeps with better mirrors, go for it.

But mirrors are like steering wheels, pedals, seats and shifters, they need to be mounted in the best place. You just might be surprised what other rodders seem to settle with, in the name of style. By sitting in other cars like yours, you can easily see how well things work out and it might save you the return UPS bucks. Gary

12. Can anyone direct me to a clamp on mirror that fits a Model A (closed car) - I have a clamp on, but you have to tighten from the backside... then you end up with a bracket & set screws hitting the body because of the overlap... is there a clamp on that tightens from the outside (pulling bracket tight to inside door edge ? Hope I'm making sense... I already know what would happen if I tried to remove door pin & don't want to drill any holes (hope to avoid permanent changes)

13. barrnone50

barrnone50
    from texas

14. If mine had visor screws...