Register now to get rid of these ads!

Hot Rods Model A parts value

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by Barbarian, Jan 5, 2020.

1. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

I have model a rolling chassis minus rear suspension and torque tube I may be looking to part out to recoup some funds. Anyone have some insight as to what they think fair prices would be for the individual parts? Figure I’d do better parting it then selling as a whole?

I came across a better rolling chassis with a title that I may a purchase, but would like to offset some of that cost if possible.

2. dudley32

dudley32

Condition plays a large part in the value of any parts. Is there an engine and does it run? Transmission? Pictures would also help in valuation...

lothiandon1940 likes this.
  3. pitman

pitman

The market value has decreased unfortunately. It began 10-12 years back as owners departed.

4. flatford39

flatford39

$200.00 to $300.00 parted or not

5. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

I’d keep the engine because the numbers match the title. Everything else I’d sell off.

6. Model A Gomez

Model A Gomez

The serial number is also stamped on the top of the left frame rail between where the front cowl bolt goes and the bracket where the rear of the cowl bolts down.

7. You could drag that stuff to every swap meet next summer,and not sell much,or it could be gone in 1 day.You just need to find the right guy.It might be easier to sell parts on ebay.

ted kovacs likes this.
  8. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

You need to remember, there were 5 million Model A's built and their hay day was the '60s & '70s. If It's an early solid motor mount, low number frame it's worth a little more but most are available for a couple of hundred bucks.

9. adam401

adam401

A nice model A frame isn't as easy to find as it once was. Nice meaning not pitted to death and with visable numbers. The front end isn't of particular value in the hot rod world but again if its smooth and servicable someone will want that too. I cant tell you the last time I saw a nice frame near me for under 4 hundred. They used to be 100 bucks a pop not so many years ago.

10. gimpyshotrods

gimpyshotrods
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

Excellent frames out here are still $100-350. I got a numbers matching frame and engine block (block useless), with almost no pitting, for $350.

11. adam401

adam401

Location, location, location as they say haha

12. The frame you have has no real value except as a part - so the parts of it could be sold - keeping in mind that's what everyone does....

What I read is that you ran across a frame with a title - that carries a lot of value right there !

Good luck with your dealing !

13. Almostdone

Almostdone
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I sold a complete rolling chassis (with all running gear) in good condition at a swap meet for $1950 two years ago. It took 30 minutes. It was from a basically original driver.

14. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

Thanks all - going to go for it. Seems like a decent deal that I can live with and get my project started.

15. pkhammer

pkhammer

I just sold a rolling chassis with stuck engine and bald tires for $600. Probably could've got around $800 if I'd parted it out. $300 for good frame, $100 for stuck motor, $50 for trans, $100 for 4 good wheels, $100 for rear end, $50 for steering column, $100 for front axle with wishbone.

16. Is it worth $200 for your time to disassemble and and deal with multiple buyers? Probably not worth the hassle.

Beanscoot and partsdawg like this.
  17. studebakerjoe

studebakerjoe

Barbarian, where in NJ are you? Im in NY in Warwick which is right near Vernon. I'd be interested in those parts.

Squablow likes this.
  18. How can it be a Rolling Chassis without rear suspension? If you have to carry one end to make it roll it's a Wheelbarrow, not a chassis.

19. Squablow

Squablow

Not a huge value, but if the price is right it'll sell, there's always someone looking for a decent A frame. If there's pieces on it you can use, even better.

The naysayers are really hurting the hobby, bitching about how tough it'll be to sell and that no one will want it (which isn't true). Maybe you're not going to get rich off of it, but it's all worth something to someone, and it's good for the hobby to dig that stuff out and make it available to the world. Lots of rods are based off of A frames, including mine.

ClarkH likes this.
  20. Barbarian

Barbarian
    from New Jersey

send me your phone number in a dm and I’ll contact you. I’m in North Jersey (Roxbury township). I’m picking it up in the middle of February.

I guess yea it’s technically a wheelbarrow ha

The biggest value for me is getting my project legit so I can start really collecting parts without worrying about titling. If I can sell some parts off great, if not, oh well. I’ll hang them on the wall

Pist-n-Broke likes this.
  21. At my age and with all the projects I've been involved in I learned a long time ago not to just pitch parts into the Scrap bin. Around here a real nice bare Model A frame will bring $200.oo if you wait long enough. Being able to build instead of buy also has it's merits. This pile of individual cast off pieces was worth nothing by different Customers.
    Nov 2011 x 3 002.jpg All these pieces turned into this Chassis.
    Closer; 002.jpg And now is well under way making a Hot Rod out of this if you can believe it, Un-Wanted Roadster body.
    20151023_094047.jpg Yes, even that running Flathead was a cast off. So what I'm saying is even when pieces and parts aren't worth a lot they still have some value to the right person. We don't just pitch anything anymore.