Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A new steering boxes from 'Hot Rod John' Kovar in Ohio - any reports?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by no55mad, Jan 28, 2009.

1. no55mad

no55mad
    ALLIANCE MEMBER
    from nipomo, ca

When in Turlock on 1/24/09, 'Hot Rod John' was selling these new boxes and shaft that replace the original. The box itself is a new casting with his name on it and the guts are from a F1 or F100 I believe. He was not in his swap space when I was there. Looks good with the light switch mount like the original. For $650, it may be a good fix for the wondering original A box. He also deals in top loader 30's Ford transmissions and makes parts for them. I've seen him at other swaps and he sells trans stuff on Ebay, but I've never seen the steering box on Ebay. Has anybody tried one?

2. Kevin Lee

Kevin Lee
    Super Moderator
    Staff Member

I have seen the boxes on ebay. Drawing from my personal experience in dealing with him you would be better off to purchase his product through ebay (where you have some sort buyer protection) or cash and carry at a swap meet.

My transaction over the phone man to man did not end well for me.

Here are some pictures and description of events.

3. Big Tony

Big Tony

Sounds like someone NOT to deal with

4. Who picked up the pieces? I bet they ended up on ebay.

Register now to get rid of these ads!

5. davesville

davesville

obviously he was insulted and obviously not interested in the money otherwise he would not have smashed them.100 bucks for nice gennie 32 ford headlights is a steal

6. Fogger

Fogger

Kovar's been around a long time. He was involved with the V8 shop running boards and other businesses. I have dealt with him for the last 10 years and never had an issue. Always got the parts ordered and they were as described. There's only one way for me to describe John and that is positive. He recently told me about his steering box for Model A and '32 Fords and said he would be at the Turlock swapmeet to show them. His replacement and NOS parts for the early Ford transmissions and the torque tube seal have all worked for me. The FOGGER

7. Does $650 seem like a lot to spend on a steering box, unless you are a restorer? I'd swap to a used or rebuilt F1 or F100 for $100-$200, on a hot rod.

8. hotcoupe

hotcoupe

i`ve had dealings with him before, some good others not so good. the steering box that he is producing uses the worm, sector shaft and pitman arm from an f-100. and that`s the rub, it is out of scale on a `32 and i believe it would be even more out of scale on a Model"A". you asked.

9. oldandkrusty

oldandkrusty

John Kovar has, indeed, been around a long time and was involved with the V8 shop. He and his wife owned the place! They got divorced and his wife wound up with the business. She then married Barry Lobeck and that is how he got into the V8 Shop business.

John Kovar was always on the edge back "in the day" and did seem to have people pissed at him most of the time for less than scrupulous dealings. He was a very difficult person to do business with and I'm not at all surprised by the story of him smashing the headlights. He could be a real prick! That was then, I can't really say what he is like now. However, after being gone from the scene for so long, I will say that I am surprised to see that he is back in the Ford parts business.

10. The37Kid

The37Kid

I've known John for 30+ years, and all my deals with him have been fine. That smashed headlight story has been around since the start of flea markets only the names of the people and parts change.

11. TimDavis

TimDavis

I've only known John a few years -(i'm only 30), he is pretty rough guy, but is very deep with great information. I share a swap spot with him in Daytona in November, and we are usually nearby in Pomona for Father's day. I'm sure he can be tough to deal with, and I'm sure I've been treated different because of the people who introduced me to him - I was sort of a "pre-approved" cool guy -

12. Lauri

Lauri

13. mgtstumpy

mgtstumpy

14. Give @NealinCA a shout, his boxes are pure art.

Another option to consider is the late 1933 to 34 box. 15:1 ratio & easily adapts to the A frame if you use the A sector housing. Cost - a few hundred for one in like-new condition.

[​IMG]