Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model "A" Lowering with Mechanical Brakes

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Kustom Fabricator, Mar 7, 2017.

1. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

I have seen quite a few traditional fender less "A" Hot Rods using mechanical brakes, the vehicles were lowered by flipping the spring eyelets and removing a couple leafs. Most likely in the back that's all that can be done, but in the front has anybody dropped the beam any amount to get a little more drop, maybe 2 inches, before alignment problems with the brake rods?

This vehicle has the original banger motor with a couple speed parts, I would rather stick with the mechanical brakes rather then converting to juice brakes, as I'm sure that will be the first comment someone will throw up.

Any info would be much appreciated.

2. Tim

Tim
    from KCMO

Yup, @Elrod I believe did a full post on how he did just that not long ago... meaning in the last five years. Hopefully someone will post a link to the thread

3. 117harv

117harv

4. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

PAracer likes this.

5. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

6. 4barrel

4barrel

Not sure on how low you want to go buy heres mine running stock mechs.. kicked frame in rear, T leaf with removed Leafs, 32' Axle up front, and Leafs removed from Stock A and reversed eyes. I do have a build thread on it somewhere around the forum.. just havent updated it in a long time :(

Attached Files:

John Heckman, ROCKER77, 35PU and 2 others like this.
  7. Elrod

Elrod

8. Kustom Fabricator

Kustom Fabricator

Thanks for everybody who responded. Lots of good info!
    Elrod...that supercharger is one of the coolest vintage speed equipment I have seen in a LONG time. Very very rare. Only seen 2 in my life at the swap meets.

9. Elrod

Elrod

Thanks! Very Happy with the car. It made the current cover of Hot Rod Deluxe

[​IMG]

Here is a little video I made on my iPhone this past Saturday. Went cruising with Brian Bass and his coupe this past weekend. Car runs like a champ!

https://scontent.cdninstagram.com/t50.2886-16/17099621_187395245087332_7065353959359119360_n.mp4

31hotrodguy and Scott F. like this.
  10. Scott F.

Scott F.

Saw that video on instagram. So cool.
    Been looking at and reading your posts and info about lowering with mech brakes. Been a big help. I am putting an A chassis together for a T roadster body.

Elrod likes this.