Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical model A locking door handle repair?

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by classic gary, Nov 7, 2015.

1. classic gary

classic gary

first, the deck lid handle that was/is on my A is a "T" shape not the L shape all the repop places sell. It's a locking type. I've got no key for it. I've tried 2 places here in Albuquerque that are supposed to be good at keying old car handles, so far, no love. And i bought a locking door handle from ebay knowing it had no key, but i wanted original Model A parts 'cause the repop stuff i bought just looks, um, new. and they are cast/chrome/chineze. I took the door handle to the same two places, the second place thinks they can get it to work. Now if they can't. Do you guys know of a shop, even if i gotta ship out, that fixes/keys Model A door/and deck lid handles?

2. I could also use some help with this, but for door lock. If you find out how to get the lock cylinder out without a key let us know.

3. Check on Fordbarn,there was a post about a man that does good work.
    Also Model A folks,might find a key that fits your handle.

4. 56shoebox

56shoebox

Labars Lock Shop
    205W Hampton Street
    Pemberton, NJ
    609-894-2429

They came highly recommended to me from a hard core hot rodder right here on the HAMB. I have a Model A passenger door handle and trunk handle to take to him this Winter.

5. woodiewagon46

woodiewagon46
    from New York

6. mike bowling

mike bowling

"Bert's Model A Parts" out West might have a used replacement if you can't get that one repaired.

7. grim1930

grim1930
    from Norfolk UK

My Model A handle had the key code stamped into the square shaft, so I had a key cut to that code and with plenty of lube worked fine. had been off the road since 1951.

8. I had mine done locally by Bulger Lock here in Seattle. It was no problem for them.

9. If the lock smith can get the cylinder out of a door handle he/she shouldn't have any problem rekeying it. they are just pins and tumblers.

10. Deuce Lover

Deuce Lover

Try Leon Rowell in Montezuma,IA.Tel: 641-990-9957.He has done at least 25 ign lock cyls and handles for me.All Ford ones.He knows how to pick and key them.He is reasonable.

11. classic gary

classic gary

And there-in lies the problem. Neither could get the cylinder out. The second guy had the deck lid handle soaking in solvent for a week. (Stronger solvent is probably in order). I pick up the door handle Monday. I'll call some of the suggested locksmiths Monday also. I'll let you know.