Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical Model A leafspring shackles model T leafspring

Discussion in 'Traditional Hot Rods' started by Mamel, Sep 12, 2018.

1. Mamel

Mamel

I have this model T chassis lying around at home and am planning to build a 1910 era race car with model A running gear.

Now doing a little chassis mock up I was wondering if mo
    model A leafspring shackles fit the the model T springs?
    Still am searching for T front and rear leafsprings. Anybody in Europe that is selling some?

2. cederholm

cederholm

Sorry, I'm no help but would love to follow along with your build. Please start a build post when you get rolling.

~ Carl

3. banjorear

banjorear

Kinda of. Model A shackles are a tad (I think 1/4") bigger than Model T. Do you know what year T you have? 26/27 rear cross member is the most like a Model A, but you still need to use a '26/'27 Model T rear Spring or top pack if using a Model A rear spring.

You can always shimming the extra space. I'll need to look what Zach Suhr did for my build. It's a later V8 rear with Model A shackles and a '26/27 T rear spring and cross member.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2018
  4. Mamel

Mamel

Sure thing Carl I will do that

5. Mamel

Mamel

The chassis is a 26, hm don't really know if it would je wise to just make spacers to take up the play..

6. banjorear

banjorear

If you use the Model T stuff, no issue. If you use Model A spring and a Model A or V8 rear with a Model T rear cross member, you've got to do something. Plus, the '26 T rear cross member is approx. 1/4" narrower than a Model A so the spring doesn't fit either.

Model T rear cross member and spring is the way to go. It looks better and sits lower than an A set-up.

I wouldn't let the shackle move around with the slack back like that.

7. Mamel

Mamel

So you would put spacers between the shackle and leafspring eye? Because I would be using a model A rear axle

8. banjorear

banjorear

If using Model A shackles, I would place the "bar" next to the spring and run spacers under the nuts. I hope this makes sense. I'll try to snap a picture.

9. I used a T spring on the rear of my '28 Tudor and made spacers.

10. Mamel

Mamel

I do not really figure out what you mean banjorear

11. lake_harley

lake_harley

A Model T spring is 2" wide. A Model A spring is 2 1/4" wide. The Model A spring will not fit up into the T rear crossmember so you'd need to use the T spring. You can use the Model A rearend but will have to have 4 washers/spacers to space the shackle plates to make up the width difference. One would go on each side of the T spring, between the spring and shackle plates, to space the plates at 2 1/4" to match the Model A rearend perch width. Hope this helps.

Lynn

12. banjorear

banjorear

Hi Lynn:

Thank you. You've explained exactly what I was trying to say. The "bars" of the shackle needs to ride against the spring with no space. The 1/8" spacers would go on top of the "bars" and under the nut to make this possible.

I don't know if Antique Auto in Rosemede, CA is still in business, but I thought they sold a "stepped" shackle that was 2 1/4" and 2" just for this type of situation.

13. Mamel

Mamel

Ow I am going to look it up. And other wise I will make some spacers ;) thanks everyone for the replies. Just have to find some springs first..

14. lake_harley

lake_harley

Actually, I'm saying the 1/8" spacers need to go between the spring and the shackle "bars"/plates, not under the nuts. If they were put between the nuts and the shackle plates the spacers would not serve the purpose of evenly spacing the 2" T spring between the 2 1/4" spring perch width of the A rearend. Probably just semantics of how you're saying it. "Stepped" or "joggled" shackle plates, if they're available, would also do the trick to fit the two together properly.

Lynn