Register now to get rid of these ads!

Model A K.R. Wilson shock tester

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by JasonCarGuy, Dec 13, 2011.

1. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

Has anyone ever seen a Model A Ford K.R. Wilson shock tester tool. I ran across one and am checking the water to see if anyone has any info. on it.

2. pasadenahotrod

pasadenahotrod
    from Texas

Are you talking about the weighted arm that attaches to the shock arm and you "time" the stroke to test the fluid transfer?

3. JasonCarGuy

JasonCarGuy

I didn't know the value so I put in on that bad site eb.., a guy out of California bought it and he was ecstatic to finally find one. He's been looking for a long time. It was a cast iron base with all the KRW KR Wilson markings with the bolt pattern to bolt your Model A shock to, then a weighted arm attachment and there was a large wrench that attached to the shocks square lug. Not sure how it all actually worked, but it tested your shocks. He said he's only ever seen (2) others in his life, and they belong to two other collectors of the KRW tooling.

4. Bruce Lancaster

Bruce Lancaster
    Member Emeritus

OK...the shock tool set is illustrated and explained in the Model A Service Bulletins, which are reproduced and easy to find.
    There is the adjustable weighted arm used to test shock resistance aginst specs to see if Shock needed work. The rest was a holding fixture to clamp the shock to a bench and a bunch of very specialized wrenches to tear the things apart...torque needed for this was huge. All the stuff is scarce...I think Ford pretty well decided that the work was uneconomical at the dealer level, and houdaille repairs became an exchage with rebuilds done in specialized shops.
    All is scarce...from what I have seen, the people who fix Model A shocks are generally using homemade tools based on the manual pictures.