Register now to get rid of these ads!

Technical ? Model A hood bead ? what size is it?

Discussion in 'The Hokey Ass Message Board' started by flt-blk, Jun 18, 2018.

1. I am making a hood for my Model A truck and need to add the small belt line bead.
    Does anybody know the size of the bead that goes down the side of the hood? I am borrowing a Mitler Brothers power bead roller.

At this point the shape is done I just need to roll the bead and make a small flange, then figure out a way to mount it.

Hood.jpg

2. GordonC

GordonC
    ALLIANCE MEMBER

I just happen to have my 31 roadsters newly painted hood sitting here in my dining room! If I measure across the bead on the outside of the hood I get approximately 3/4". If I measure the inside of the bead I get about 5/8". Hard to be exact as the accent line is not really crisp.

3. F&J

F&J

I just measured my 31 open sided factory huckster truck, car chassis and fenders..not big truck stuff.

it is tapered. Front is about .775 rear is about .830 or so. with a Vernier. I would assume your tooling will be a "standard" of increments like "3/4", so I'd go with that.

the flange below has a very slight difference front to back, but averages 2" hanging down below the bead.

4. Thanks, thats about what I got when I threw a tape on mine. Does that mean I need a 5/8" bead die? I am new to the bead roller thing.

zuke likes this.

5. F&J

F&J

measure the female die, as that will be the finished exposed width of the bead, showing on the outside of the hood, (from one sharp edge to other sharp edge, of that die half).

6. I'll double check my dimension and look for a 5/8" die. Thanks